Ghost Hunters Live

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Was anyone able to sit through all 6 hours of the Halloween episode? I wasn't. It was a big letdown, at least it was in the 2 hours I watched. I decided that if the show had been a D&D adventure, it would've been called "Vault of the Drowsy". Did anything exciting ever happen?

Jamdin

Explorer
I have watched a total of four hours or so of past episodes and they made me drowsy enough to skip the Halloween special and any future episodes.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
It doesn't really translate into a live show. I mean, most of their ghosts are either very small shadows or blurs, or EVP.

The only real dramatic thing on the show, ever, (All that I've watched it) was that one episode where the camera jumped up and hit the guy in the face. And that wasn't even obvious until you saw the slow mo.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I saw about 4 or 5 hours of it.. The only thing that stuck out was that the guy that always is teamed up with tango got freaked out and the ECW guy panicked then ran down the hall.

satori01

First Post
I did not see the Halloween show, real time is not this shows forte, but I find the show interesting from an intellectual perspective. The overall effect of the show has lead me to a conclusion contrary to it's premise....it has made me a firm believer that there are not ghosts.

I appreciate the "scientific" attempts, but the show just gets it wrong quite a bit.
Realistically if you are doing an experiment, and in effect that is what they are doing, there should be a "blind" in terms of the composition of the haunting. You tell people, yeah we hear footsteps in the attic...guess what people are more likely to hear footsteps in the attic.

Why do hauntings only happen at night? Should they not happen at any time. Should it not be just as valid to investigate during the daytime w/ the power shut off as night? Physiologically our eyes are able to make out detail in light, so if hauntings primarily happen at night, is it not more logical to say, we have a psychological phenomenon with a physiological explanation?

EVPs are probably the least convincing evidence. Hear any blip of sound, and have someone say any word, and most people will hear the blip say the same word....this fact is well documented in scientific literature. On another related issue, so often the investigators hear something, that the sound crew following does not hear. Sound equipment can be pretty sensitive....time to get better equipment, or those sounds are
quite quiet.

EMP. I wish the show would explore baseline EMP a bit more. Do you see spike of EMP randomly occurring in a field with no electrical apparatus near by? How about in the middle of a major metropolis? Simply put, I certainly don't, I doubt the team understand the terrain of EMP fluctuations. Given that there is some scientific evidence showing the collapse of Bee Hives in industrial societies might be related to energy of cell phones and Wi-Fi disrupting bees, how can one say an EMP spike is at all related to the spiritual...simple fact is they, I, and probably most viewers do not know what an EMP spike at all represents.

To praise the show they do a good job of pointing out that high EMP fields can have deleterious effects that often get confused for a haunting. What I find fascinating s that in a recent episode, they mentioned that Poltergeist activity generally manifests itself to young teenaged girls, and occurs in areas with large amounts of Limestone and granite. Gee what do granite and limestone have in common....high EMP signatures. What do large spooky old houses often have in common....made from granite or other matierals with high EMP signatures. So the guys can not put together 1 +1 =2?

If you have a phenomenon that occurs under very specific circumstance, with one of those circumstances being matierals present with high EMP fields, and we know that high EMP fields have X effects that oddly match the description of a haunting, what does Occam's Razor tell you?

I'm not bashing the show, I watch it quite a bit, and I would like to believe, but there are scientific flaws in their contentions. Moreover you just can not say, they are not faking it. I saw the chair move in the Lighthouse episode a couple years back. Taking their account of events at face value, it is pretty shocking sight to see...but the simple fact is can we take the accounts at face value? It would be pretty easy to fake alot of what we see.

Rykion

Explorer
Ghost Hunters is definitely better condensed down to when things actually happen. Six hours is a long time to watch for a few minutes of action. Reminds me of baseball.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
I've really hoped that Ghosthunters was faked/scripted since I saw I saw previews for an episode where they were called to help a family who had "ghost" activity that was physically harming their child. Because if it's not faked, they were quite possibly rewarding Munchausen by proxy with a nice feeling of temporary fame. (Or, depending on the age of the kid, self abuse.) Which is, well, pretty sickening to me. :( Playing spooky with noises in the attic is one thing, but some things aren't part of the game....

Rykion

Explorer
Kahuna Burger said:
I've really hoped that Ghosthunters was faked/scripted since I saw I saw previews for an episode where they were called to help a family who had "ghost" activity that was physically harming their child. Because if it's not faked, they were quite possibly rewarding Munchausen by proxy with a nice feeling of temporary fame. (Or, depending on the age of the kid, self abuse.) Which is, well, pretty sickening to me. :( Playing spooky with noises in the attic is one thing, but some things aren't part of the game....
Actually I can't think of an episode where a child was being physically harmed. There was one in which a little girl was being bothered at night. They set up a camera and discovered that it was her restless little brother. He would try to wake her up in the middle of the night, but it took her a long time to wake up. By the time she was up, he was back in bed asleep. She would remember being shaken and her name being called, but wouldn't know who did it. Seems like they actually did the family a favor. The Ghost Hunters are supernatural enthusiasts, but they actively try to debunk a haunting rather than just accepting it.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Rykion said:
Actually I can't think of an episode where a child was being physically harmed. There was one in which a little girl was being bothered at night. They set up a camera and discovered that it was her restless little brother. He would try to wake her up in the middle of the night, but it took her a long time to wake up. By the time she was up, he was back in bed asleep. She would remember being shaken and her name being called, but wouldn't know who did it. Seems like they actually did the family a favor. The Ghost Hunters are supernatural enthusiasts, but they actively try to debunk a haunting rather than just accepting it.
The preview could have been misleading, and I'd be happy to know either that it was fake or that they made it look more shocking for the teaser, but the overall premise is well outside my interests, so I haven't watched any episodes.

Villano

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
Because if it's not faked, they were quite possibly rewarding Munchausen by proxy with a nice feeling of temporary fame.

There was an episode back during the 1st season which was advertised, but never aired. From what I gather, the woman complaining thought she was possessed. IIRC, she also kept and room in her house locked because she thought that something evil (maybe it was even supposed to be the Devil) lived in there. I'm also pretty sure that she died a week or so after they visited her.

Anyway, Ghost Hunters nixed the episode "out of respect", as one member put it, when it became obvious she was mentally ill. Considering what they do, I'm guessing that they encounter people like this on occasion. Jason was even stalked by someone. He kept writing Jason threatening e-mails and was caught by the FBI on a library computer writing death threats to the President and signing Jason's name. I don't think Jason ever actually met the guy; I'm pretty sure he was just a viewer of the show.

Remove ads