Loki Season 2 Discussion - Spoilers

Finally saw it. Add me to the list of those who felt it was a tragic ending for Loki. I’m an introvert and if I were locked to a throne all alone for eternity, I’d go insane. I can’t imagine what it would be like for Loki, whose very essence is tied to getting reactions out of others.

Is he alone, though? He has the whole multiverse in his hands. He is basically the new Watcher. All-powerful but won't/can't interfere.

I think 'cannot interfere' is a guess, one I suspect will be wrong.

I mean, if Hiddleston wants to retire from Marvel and live comfortably doing Shakespeare in London, he's earned it. But if I had Disney money and a chance to write a multiverse saga, I absolutely would find a way to bring back Hemsworth and Hiddleston for a "brothers swoop in to save the day and have a heartfelt reunion" scene.

MarkB

Legend
I think 'cannot interfere' is a guess, one I suspect will be wrong.

I mean, if Hiddleston wants to retire from Marvel and live comfortably doing Shakespeare in London, he's earned it. But if I had Disney money and a chance to write a multiverse saga, I absolutely would find a way to bring back Hemsworth and Hiddleston for a "brothers swoop in to save the day and have a heartfelt reunion" scene.
By the very nature of this show, this is still only one variant of Loki, and not even the one most familiar to Thor. If they want to bring him back, they could just create some excuse for Thor or someone else to go time-heist him from just before the stinger scene in Ragnarok.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Is he alone, though? He has the whole multiverse in his hands. He is basically the new Watcher. All-powerful but won't/can't interfere.
Which would be even worse for a person whose identity is interacting with others and seeing their reactions with how they interact with him.

That’s the greatest price he paid IMO. Being alone forever is the worst thing that could happen to him. Even outside the lore from other films, they made a point to get him to admit what he really wants are friends.

Hussar

Legend
Whereas I'd have rolled my eyes and considered the series a failure at that.
As I said, I'm a sucker for unhappy endings. Where it turns out, no, you can't actually win sometimes. The whole "I triggered it 15 minutes ago" thing.

It's one of my favorite kinds of endings. Torchwood's Children of Earth remains one of my all time favorite SF stories.

Loves me a "Tragic hero" story.

I thought the ending was way better than the actual series (and I just hope there is no series 3 to wreck it).

And Loki did get something he always wanted: he got to be more heroic than his brother.

Also hope that the TVA proves so effective at playing whack-a-mole with Kang variants that we can drop that rubbish plot altogether.

Thomas Shey

Legend
As I said, I'm a sucker for unhappy endings. Where it turns out, no, you can't actually win sometimes. The whole "I triggered it 15 minutes ago" thing.

It's one of my favorite kinds of endings. Torchwood's Children of Earth remains one of my all time favorite SF stories.

Loves me a "Tragic hero" story.

Whereas I consider the current ending a tragic hero story, where that one would have been a pointless hero story.

Hussar

Legend
Whereas I consider the current ending a tragic hero story, where that one would have been a pointless hero story.

How is it tragic? Loki got exactly what he always wanted - a throne. All the other characters got endings in keeping with their respective plot lines.

In what way is this a tragic story?

Remove ads