• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ghost Rider?

Ranger REG

Explorer
IcedEarth81 said:
What does that mean? Does that mean that we aren't supposed to expect comic book movies to have a decent plot, to be well shot, and to have great performances? I don't buy that at all. We've had some really good comic book movies (X-Men 1 and 2, Spidey 1 and 2, Batman Begins, etc) that had a good plot with fairly deep characters that you cared about, that were well done, and had some really good performances. In short, we had good movies that happened to be based upon comics. No matter where the story comes from, the movie just has to be good standing on its own merits. Movies shouldn't get a pass because they come from a comic book. If the comic doesn't give enough of a story or a good enough story to make a movie then the movie shouldn't be made.
He meant don't expect the film to be good enough win an Oscar nomination (except for technical categories).

IcedEarth81

First Post
There's a large difference between expecting a movie to win an oscar and expecting it to be of high quality. Spidey and Batman Begins weren't Oscar worthy but were still great movies. I don't see why comic book movies can't live up to those standards. They certainly should be expected to since it has been shown it can be done.

horacethegrey

First Post
IcedEarth81 said:
There's a large difference between expecting a movie to win an oscar and expecting it to be of high quality. Spidey and Batman Begins weren't Oscar worthy but were still great movies. I don't see why comic book movies can't live up to those standards. They certainly should be expected to since it has been shown it can be done.
Agreed. While I thought Spider-Man 2 was awesome I'd be a fool to think it ever had a chance at an Oscar nomination. Same with Batman Begins, but despite that, the filmmakers went out of their way to create the finest film that they could while still being true to the characters. And that for me is all anybody can really ask for.

Which reinforces my stance on Mark Steven Johnson. The guy should not be allowed to direct another comic flick. He's had two tries now, and both films have left a lot to be desired.

Ranger REG

Explorer
IcedEarth81 said:
Spidey and Batman are A-list superheroes. We're talking about Ghost Rider, one of the B-list. If anything it should be as good as the first Blade film.

Ranger REG said:
Spidey and Batman are A-list superheroes. We're talking about Ghost Rider, one of the B-list. If anything it should be as good as the first Blade film.

I'd have been delighted if it'd been as good as the first Blade.

It was nowhere even close. :(

Ranger REG

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
I'd have been delighted if it'd been as good as the first Blade.

It was nowhere even close. :(
Then it must be a SLOW movie weekend ... which is good for Sony, Columbia, and Marvel.

Last edited:

Arnwyn

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Part of the problem was the campy tone of much of the movie.
It's too bad you must have not seen any of the trailers, then - they showed a heckuva lot of camp.

And campy is what we got. I just saw it last night, and didn't really enjoy myself. It wasn't terrible or anything, but I spent much of the movie yawning and shifting in my seat. And what was up with those lame-ass 'demons'? Goofy goth boys have never made good villains. For me, the best part of the movie (and it was cool) was the ride with Carter Slade and Ghost Rider. That was damn cool. (Disclaimer: I have no knowledge of the source material.)

I give it a 5/10, for flaming skulls, Carter Slade, and Eva Mendes' rack.

I went with my girlfriend. She loved it, so I found myself forgiving its failings, and actually liking it too. I liked it better than Dare Devil (theatrical; I've never seen the Director's Cut). Anyway, the best line was Eva Mendez's.

"So last night you didn't come because you were working . . . for the Devil."

It really was a weak movie, but as I was watching the opening credits, I told myself I should just enjoy it as I would a rollercoaster ride.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Ghost Rider was horrible. Laughable villains, painful dialogue, an almost total lack of anything resembling acting, paint-by-numbers plot complete with gaping holes, "action" sequences that are yawn-worthy. It ranks right down there with Catwoman, although without having the benefit of Halle Berry and Sharon Stone beating on each other. Ghost Rider is easily the worst movie I've seen this year, and I watch a lot of bad movies.

Larcen

Explorer
Just saw it last night. I came away thinking it was worth watching for the visuals alone. I can see lots of stills from this movie making great desktops. Plus what's not to like about the "I'm the Devil's bounty hunter" theme? This character would be great to roleplay...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads