• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ghostwise - RPing and Rulewise

On Puget Sound

First Post
I think the "best check result" makes more sense from a descriptive standpoint, since it is a telepathic link. What this effect simulates is, if either character notices something they can immediately notify the other. Therefore, each character should use his/her full Perception ability, with all relevant modifiers, to see if either one noticed. Some halflings will take Alertness and high WIS, and will usually be the successful one of the pair. Others will link to the Elf Ranger in the party, and usually use the elf's Perception instead of their own poor one. Ghostwise is just instant communication, no "magical shoring up" of the other character's perception required. I like that it rewards party design rather than character design.

Gruns

Explorer
Roll?

Well, no, it's the -result- not the -roll.- Big difference. So if you roll a 20, but have +2, and the drow rolls a 15 but has a +10, then you'd use the best -result- which is 25.

Is it? I don't have the original source material for the feat, but if what the original poster posted is correct, then it's the roll, not the result, as this is what the feat clearly says...
Is the actual wording different than what was posted?
Later
Gruns

CapnZapp

Legend
For convenience, here's the original, unaltered, feat description:

Ghostwise Heritage [Halfling]
Prerequisite: Halfling
Benefit: After meditating for one minute, choose
one ally you can see. Whenever that ally is within
10 squares of you, any time you are both required
to make a Perception check, both of you can use the
higher result of your two rolls.
By meditating again, you can change the ally to
whom you are linked.

Personally, as I said, I can see how the wording isn't 100% rules-lawyer proof, but saying "it's either way" is being a bit too reckless for me.

I would say the wording very strongly indicates it's the roll only you share and not the complete check result.

CapnZapp

Legend
I think the "best check result" makes more sense from a descriptive standpoint
Never mix fluff into your crunch.

That is, if you're discussing the rules as written in general.

For your home campaign, having fluff influencing your house rules is perfectly fine, of course, and will probably even be better! :)

Rashak Mani

First Post
So its more like a roll twice perception check feat ? But works for two people.

What would be more beneficial ? Sharing rolls or skill result ? Sharing rolls seems to help PCs with similar skill levels ? While sharing skill results benefits the low skill PC ?

Last edited:

On Puget Sound

First Post

whom you are linked.

and PH page 178:
SKILL CHECK
To make a skill check, roll 1d20 and add the following:
*Your base skill check bonus with the skill
*All situational modifiers that apply
*Bonuses and penalties from powers affecting you
The total is your check result

The result of your roll is not equal to the roll, it's the roll as modified. Looking for other examples of that wording, I find in the ranger power "split the tree": "Make two attack rolls, take the higher result and apply it to both targets." Clearly we're not applying the higher of two unmodified d20 rolls here; when a d20 rule talks about the result of a roll they mean the whole thing. That's kind of the essence of d20.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

whom you are linked.

Personally, as I said, I can see how the wording isn't 100% rules-lawyer proof, but saying "it's either way" is being a bit too reckless for me.

I would say the wording very strongly indicates it's the roll only you share and not the complete check result.

Ahem....your "I just copied and pasted from a PDF file" is showing!

Remove ads