D&D 5E Ghouls and Ghasts

trentonjoe

Explorer
Is there an explanation somewhere about why Ghouls and Ghasts don't use their profiency bonus on their bite attacks?

The Ghoul is +4 with its claws but only +2 on its bite. Both attacks appear to use dex as the ability modifier and do +2 damage. Why the difference in to hit?

Boarstorm

First Post
I think it's a flavor thing. They use their claws until their target is paralyzed, then move in to bite once they have Advantage. It seems to me that it's a case of the rules being used to enforce a certain flavor to the monster.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
No rime or reason that I can tell; I've seen a few other monsters where the attack modifier isn't simply (stat + prof) like you'd expect. Black bear is an example I've noticed.

I think it's a case where they're building monsters to fit roles, rather than building out from formula.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Because that's how they've traditionally acted in Ghouls 'n' Ghasts. Look at that guy - he's clearly reaching towards Arthur!

ghostsngoblinsl1-a1-01.png

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Why think so complicated? IMHO it's just errors simple at that. Misstakes, nothing more

Because then I'd feel the urge to correct it. :) My solution lets me be comfortably insulated in my own apathy.

Ghouls and ghasts aren't powergamers; they don't see a need to min-max to get every last bonus. They feel it's more "in character" to leave a few proficiency bonuses on the table to better play to their character concepts.

Henrix

Explorer
The poor suckers took the ghoul/ghast class and realised too late, post mortem actually, that they only get one single weapon proficiency.

They said the class stinks.

Remove ads