D&D 5E Giant skeleton stats

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
So I have acquired some giant skeleton miniatures of the hill, frost and fire variety.

However, I do not know where to find their official stats!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

MarkB

Legend
So I have acquired some giant skeleton miniatures of the hill, frost and fire variety.

However, I do not know where to find their official stats!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
According to D&D Beyond, frost giant skeletons are statted in Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, and storm giant skeletons are in Candlekeep Mysteries. There's no listing for hill or fire giant skeletons, but a generic giant skeleton is in Tomb of Horrors and an ogre skeleton is in Forge of Fury.

Quickleaf

Legend
For the ones that don't have official stats in 5e, like hill & fire, you can use the "skeleton template" (NPC Feature) in the DMG page 282 as a guideline.

+2 Dex, -4 Int, -4 Cha
Vulnerable to bludgeoning damage; immune to poison damage and exhaustion; can't be poisoned
Darkvision 60ft.
can't speak but understands the languages it knew in life

aco175

Legend
If you are making something up, I would also give it a cool power that might be a recharge power, certainly if they are meant to be a boss-type monster. Maybe the fire giant skeleton can make his weapon burst into flames for one round and deal +2d6 fire or have it last 1d4 rounds. Heck, you can also make it a bloodied power like 4e and have the fire sword activate when it reaches half HP. You can have a club sweep power that attacks everyone in a 15ft cone. Just something cool enough to make each giant skeleton a bit fun and memorable.

MarkB

Legend
If you are making something up, I would also give it a cool power that might be a recharge power, certainly if they are meant to be a boss-type monster. Maybe the fire giant skeleton can make his weapon burst into flames for one round and deal +2d6 fire or have it last 1d4 rounds. Heck, you can also make it a bloodied power like 4e and have the fire sword activate when it reaches half HP. You can have a club sweep power that attacks everyone in a 15ft cone. Just something cool enough to make each giant skeleton a bit fun and memorable.
Maybe something reactive rather than proactive, since skeletons don't typically have much initiative. Like, fire runs within the skeleton's bones, unleashing a burst of flame all around it when it takes damage.

Warpiglet-7

Well I like these ideas. I am running a friend con and have been building terrain for ages.

I want to use my coolest minis…I have the thee giant skeletons.

I like the idea of giving each one “something.”

For a fire giant that has armor of burn-yo-ass instead of Agathys :D it would be interesting to see them not want to run up with a maul but find other means to bring him down!

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
@Warpiglet-7

Hill Giant Skeleton
Huge Undead, Chaotic Evil
stat-block-header-bar.svg

Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 105 (10d12 + 40)
Speed 40 ft.

STR 21 (+5)
DEX 8 (-1)
CON 19 (+4)
INT 2 (-4)
WIS 9 (-1)
CHA 2 (-4)

Vulnerabilities bludgeoning
Immunities poison damage and exhaustion; can't be poisoned
Skills Perception +2
Senses Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 12
Languages –
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +3

Undead Nature. The hill giant skeleton doesn't require air, food, drink, or sleep.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. The hill giant skeleton makes two greatclub attacks.

Greatclub. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 18 (3d8 + 5) bludgeoning damage.

Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, range 60/240 ft., one target. Hit: 21 (3d10 + 5) bludgeoning damage.

Bag of Bones. The hill giant skeleton carries its giant's bag from when it was alive, however everything within has been corrupted by undeath. When it reaches into the bag, roll a d4 to see what it pulls out:
1. Three skeletal pigs (use skeleton stats) which Shove (+0) anyone in their path as they try to escape.
2. A bear skin that the hill giant skeleton throws up to 20 feet and briefly animates as a rug of smothering. Make a ranged weapon attack +5 to hit, grappled (escape DC 13). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, blinded, and at risk of suffocating, and the rug can't smother another target. In addition, at the start of each of the target's turns, the target takes 10 (2d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage. When the grapple ends, the bear skin stops being animated.
3. A keg of unholy ale which the hill giant throws up to 20 feet. Any creatures within 5 feet of where the keg lands that are of celestial or fey descent (including aasimars, elves, half-elves) take 2d6 necrotic damage. Creatures within the area are soaked in alcohol, suffering vulnerability to fire attacks until the start of the hill giant skeleton's next turn.
4. A tombstone that the hill giant skeleton throws up to 20 feet as a Rock, and grants all undead within 30 feet of where it lands advantage on saves against Turn Undead.

Last edited:

Warpiglet-7

@Warpiglet-7

Hill Giant Skeleton
Huge Undead, Chaotic Evil

Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 105 (10d12 + 40)
Speed 40 ft.

STR 21 (+5)
DEX 8 (-1)
CON 19 (+4)
INT 2 (-4)
WIS 9 (-1)
CHA 2 (-4)

Vulnerabilities bludgeoning
Immunities poison damage and exhaustion; can't be poisoned
Skills Perception +2
Senses Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 12
Languages –
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +3

Undead Nature. The hill giant skeleton doesn't require air, food, drink, or sleep.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. The hill giant skeleton makes two greatclub attacks.

Greatclub. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 18 (3d8 + 5) bludgeoning damage.

Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, range 60/240 ft., one target. Hit: 21 (3d10 + 5) bludgeoning damage.

Bag of Bones. The hill giant skeleton carries its giant's bag from when it was alive, however everything within has been corrupted by undeath. When it reaches into the bag, roll a d4 to see what it pulls out:
1. Three skeletal pigs (use skeleton stats) which Shove (+0) anyone in their path as they try to escape.
2. A bear skin that the hill giant skeleton throws up to 20 feet and briefly animates as a rug of smothering. Make a ranged weapon attack +5 to hit, grappled (escape DC 13). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, blinded, and at risk of suffocating, and the rug can't smother another target. In addition, at the start of each of the target's turns, the target takes 10 (2d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage. When the grapple ends, the bear skin stops being animated.
3. A keg of unholy ale which the hill giant throws up to 20 feet. Any creatures within 5 feet of where the keg lands that are of celestial or fey descent (including aasimars, elves, half-elves) take 2d6 necrotic damage. Creatures within the area are soaked in alcohol, suffering vulnerability to fire attacks until the start of the hill giant skeleton's next turn.
4. A tombstone that the hill giant skeleton throws up to 20 feet as a Rock, and grants all undead within 30 feet of where it lands advantage on saves against Turn Undead.
Well now I am inspired. Adding to bag of bones what about sling bullets?

I have some terrain pieces “sacrificial rocks” by battlefield in a box.

the terrain is covered in skulls got me thinking based on you suggestions.

Maybe I will add a sling and have these unholy skull act as shot—-like a skull shotgun with spread!

Quickleaf

Legend
Well now I am inspired. Adding to bag of bones what about sling bullets?

I have some terrain pieces “sacrificial rocks” by battlefield in a box.

the terrain is covered in skulls got me thinking based on you suggestions.

Maybe I will add a sling and have these unholy skull act as shot—-like a skull shotgun with spread!
Yeah slinging skulls might be cool.

The basic approach – which I'm pretty sure how the official Frost Giant Skeleton was handled – is (a) roughly apply that skeleton template, then (b) give it one cool power that fits that giant type. So the frost giant got this Freezing Stare that deals cold damage and can paralyze.

Quickleaf

Legend
Well I like these ideas. I am running a friend con and have been building terrain for ages.

I want to use my coolest minis…I have the thee giant skeletons.

I like the idea of giving each one “something.”

For a fire giant that has armor of burn-yo-ass instead of Agathys :D it would be interesting to see them not want to run up with a maul but find other means to bring him down!

Fire Giant Skeleton
Huge Undead, Lawful Evil

Armor Class 16 (broken plate)
Hit Points 162 (13d12 + 78)
Speed 30 ft.

STR 25 (+7)
DEX 9 (-1)
CON 23 (+6)
INT 6 (-2)
WIS 14 (+2)
CHA 9 (-1)

Vulnerable Bludgeoning
Immune to Fire, Poison damage and Exhaustion; can't be Poisoned
Skills Athletics +11, Perception +6
Senses Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 16
Languages can understand Giant but cannot speak
Challenge 9 (5,000 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +4

Flames of Snurre. The fire giant skeleton is wreath with flames that pour from inside its armor-covered chest. When a creature hits it with a melee attack, the flames leap out dealing 5 fire damage to that creature. The fire giant skeleton loses this trait if it launches the Ball of Flame.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. The fire giant skeleton makes two greatsword attacks. Alternately, it may instead make one greatsword attack and begin reaching into its chest, which it must do prior to launching the Ball of Flame.

Greatsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 28 (6d6 + 7) slashing damage.

Ball of Flame (special). The fire giant skeleton draws the fire from its chest and throws it at a point it can see within 240 feet, whereupon it explodes. Each creature within 20 feet of that point take 28 (8d6) fire damage, or half damage if they succeed a DC 14 Dexterity save. This counts as a 3rd level spell and may be countered; however, if it is countered, the flame returns to the skeleton's chest and its Flames of Snurre trait is restored.

Remove ads