• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Giants in the Earth style thread - nominations for subjects

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Celebrim said:
Or else, you seriously underestimate the power level of fantasy heroes.

Well, that's certainly possible. I suppose it depends on where you draw the line at what's realistic. I haven't looked at it carefully, but just how inhuman is a 20th level fighter (the only completely mundane class I can think of ATM)? I also suppose it depends on how difficult the skill checks are for discovering various things scientifically. I'm just not convinced myself that a +5 bonus from INT of 20 and 11 ranks in Knowledge (Physics) (or whatever you want to call it) is necessarily enough, even if you get to take 20 all the time. Which, btw, probably takes several months. So, anyway, not to derail this thread further, I suggest moving this conversation...

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
To avoid politicizing the thread with real politicians...

<Insert the name of any politician here> "I'm a 5th level aristocrat, but I want you to think that I'm a 5th level commoner."

Save us from the leadership of those that say, "I've never considered myself a man of the people, but I consider myself a man for the people."

And I think that's as much as I can say (or maybe even a bit more) and not break the rules.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Teflon Billy said:
The short story collection is not great.

Take alook at Dark Crusade or, as mentioned, Darkness Weaves

Both are great.

Y'know, I had those, and I got rid of 'em after I was disappointed by the short stories. Sucks because apparently they're tough to find at reasonable prices now.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
ColonelHardisson said:
Y'know, I had those, and I got rid of 'em after I was disappointed by the short stories. Sucks because apparently they're tough to find at reasonable prices now.

Shoot me your mailing address, I have a spare copy of each.

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Well, I apologize if some of the characters I mention have been named before, but they are characters I'd like to see statted up.

My recommendations:
  • Conan the Barbarian* (as well as other Howard characters like Kull)
  • Elric* (as well as other Eternal Champions, and expanded rules on Eternal Champion-like characters)
  • The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings characters (all of `em--main and supporting)*
  • Ged/Sparrowhawk, along with Tenar and Arren/King Lebannen.
  • Fafhrd & Grey Mouser, plus Sheelba, Ningauble, Nehwon ghouls, and Invisibles of Stardock
  • Skeeve the Magnificent, along with Gleep, Aahz, Tananda, and the rest of the MYTH Inc. characters.
  • The Chronicles of Prydain characters (Taran, Gurgi, Arawn, etc.)
  • The Thieves' World characters (both from the original and the new series)
  • Updated (3.5) stats of the characters from the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons and Forgotten Realms comics from DC
  • More stats of characters from the toyline (since Warduke's around): Strongheart, Perelay, Kelek, Mercion, etc.
  • Characters from the Zork series (the Thief, Dalboz of Gurth, Dungeon Master, etc.)
  • Characters from the Ultima series (Lord British, Blackthorn, Iolo, the Avatar, etc.)
  • Various Shakespeare characters, such as Macbeth, Prospero, Puck, etc.

*Now, I know the OP mentioned not to refer to characters in a currently licensed d20 game, but honestly, I'd like to see 3.5 D&D stats for some of these characters, and rules for adapting a 3.5 D&D game for that setting (or, how said character would be in a mainstream 3.5 D&D game, since plane/dimension-hopping is feasible). And, I'm not so well-versed in the other d20 systems out there on the market, so I don't know if there are 3.5 D&D versions out there.

Along these lines, I wouldn't mind seeing G. I. Joe characters written up for d20 Modern; or Transformers, for that matter. A stat-up of Harry Dresden for d20 Modern would be cool as well.

WereSteve

First Post
The characters from Raymond Feist's Magician book (Tom, Pug, Jimmy the Hand, Kulgan, etc.).

Raymond Feist's novels started out as the D&D world of Midkemia back when he was a "starving young student" in college. There was some mention of seeking some help to convert what had been published back in the day to d20/3.5e on the web site ...

http://www.midkemia.com/

Tho' admittedly the last update mentioning that was dated 2004. It would be interesting to see this one picked up again.

As for me, I wouldn't mind seeing Dennis L McKiernan's Mithgar series of novels transformed into an entire setting.

The only other one that might intrigue me would be the works of Terry Goodkind.

FnordBear

First Post
I have always like the idea of "translating" characters too rather than directly converting to a system so I would like to chime in with:

The Characters from the Darksword Novels.

The Characters, especially Haplo and Alfred, from the Deathgate novels.

The Shanarra characters (the dragon mag article was good but needs a 3.5 update)

Thomas Covenant, Lord Fouls, Morhan, Avery Linden, and Saltheart Foamfollower are dittoed.

Horseclans! I need Bili the Axe and Prairecats!

I know this series gets a lot of hate but....The characters from the Sword of Truth series.

A Dungeons and Dragons translation of (IE not a new system written around), the Wheel of Time.

Jules Verne characters, especially Captian Nemo and the Nautilis.

Eragon.

Seconding Elric, the D20 Melnibone book was nice but I would like a 3.5 update/translation.

Again gets lots of hate but....Xanth...especially the first 3 novels before it got really silly*ducks*

The characters and magic from The Mirror of Her Dreams from Donaldson.

Characters from the Chronicles of the Chaticist(sp?) series by Alan Dean Foster.

And though it seems silly...I would like to see a translation of a Dashing Swashbuckler captian with his elven wizard first officer, his dwarven chief artificer, his old country healer, and the rest of his colorful crew on the air-ship Enterprise as they explore strange new lands, seek out new peoples, and boldly go where no adventurer has gone before and returned to tell the tale.

Remove ads