D&D 5E Give Me Any D&D Monster and I'll Homebrew You A Better Version

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
The hop attack would've taken these over the half-page limit I set for them, but here are also some slaadi with a hop attack you could slap on em, and some grung with a hop-escape:

Bullywugs
Slaadi
Grungs

This is the version of hop attack I use for my bullywugs.

HOP ATTACK: The bullywug can leap its full movement without a running start. If the bullywug jumps at least 10 feet, it may land in a space adjacent to a target and take the attack action with its spear, doing an additional die of damage (like a crit). A target struck by the hop attack of medium size or smaller must make a STR save (DC 11) or be knocked prone.

It's also parsing what the abilities do and then calculating all the damage and effects.

Okay, who is within 15' feet of each other but also not within 5' of the giant make a save and then take x damage or y damage on a save or z damage if you were a certain feet away also make a dex save or be pushed also you have advantage of there are 3 of you but disadvantage if you are in a certain spot and you can climb to get advantage but then you get disadvantage against an ability and the DM needs to choose between 5 abilities to do based on exactly where each character is.

It's a lot and I just couldn't get through a game where every encounter had monsters like this.

I only belabor the point because the OP says a goal is to make it interesting but also easy on the DM.

This fails the latter.
Yeah, now that you mention it all of this is really easy to track if you use minis and a grid, and a nightmare if you don't. I guess I was really just designing to my own experience of the game with this.

Displacer Beast.

It is such an iconic monster, it has bizarre displacing effect and weird looking tentacles... But in the game this amounts to disadvantage to attacking it and the tentacles don't do anything interesting either; they might as well be paw attacks. 😿

I'd like a displacer beast that has a bit more weirdness and uniqueness in its rules like the fluff and looks imply.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Really? There are dozens of takes out there already. I've posted 3 or 4 myself.
Us too!

That said, there's clearly a lot of interest in 'updating' the MM. We did it with Level Up's Monstrous Menagerie, MCDM did it with its latest $2M Kickstarter, we're here in a thread with that same goal. Nothing wrong with multiple takes on it!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
we're here in a thread with that same goal. Nothing wrong with multiple takes on it!

And I have a thread where I post all the stat blocks for creatures and their homebrewed variations I use in my current 5E games. Not playtested though, except to the extent that I used them and they were fine.

Displacer Beast.

It is such an iconic monster, it has bizarre displacing effect and weird looking tentacles... But in the game this amounts to disadvantage to attacking it and the tentacles don't do anything interesting either; they might as well be paw attacks. 😿

I'd like a displacer beast that has a bit more weirdness and uniqueness in its rules like the fluff and looks imply.
Displacer Beasts

Us too!

That said, there's clearly a lot of interest in 'updating' the MM. We did it with Level Up's Monstrous Menagerie, MCDM did it with its latest $2M Kickstarter, we're here in a thread with that same goal. Nothing wrong with multiple takes on it!
Yeah, I think even WotC have realized that some of their overarching design goals for the MM are misguided. You can see them trying to take things in both a more practical and more interesting direction in their last couple of offerings, though they're still limited by choices they made early in the edition.

Fifinjir

Explorer
Twig, needle, and vine blights.
Also, can I see a bumped up to CR 1/8 lemure?
And just because I’m curious at what you’ll devise, commoner.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases