D&D 5E Give Me Three Reasons To Play Greyhawk

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
So, I've got some personal ideas, but I'd like the opinion of the knowledge base here:

If you had to boil down the reasons to play Greyhawk instead of any other D&D setting and present it to someone fairly new to the game (say, a few months' experience) and present it in a list of 3 things, what would you say these are?

What makes Greyhawk different than other settings? What does it offer me that I can't get in other official settings in the D&D pantheon? What can I do with it? What makes it better at those things? What are the "selling points" of Greyhawk?

Note that I'm not too concerned about the history and the context and the Proper Nouns. In this hypothetical, that doesn't add much. I'm interested in what I can actively do with the setting -- in how a Greyhawk experience is different from any other D&D experience.

What say ye?

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
1. Greyhawk is a world ripe for political intrigues.
2. Greyhawk has terrific water access by rivers and larger bodies of water throughout most of the land. In this way, travel by the seas is very significant and so are pirates and raiders like the Vikings. And you can often get from one place to another without having to travel through other countries.
3. The elves and other demihumans are relatively low level, so it's more of a human-centric setting.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
1. If there's a "true" old school or classic D&D setting, Greyhawk is arguably it (one could also argue for the Known World and a couple of others but Greyhawk is the most popular).

2. There's an uncivilized feel to it - go just a mile or two beyond the city walls and the world gets dangerous very quickly.

3. Unlike some other settings, there isn't a "save the world every other month" vibe to it; its perfect for more mercenary characters and sandbox style play.

IMO, of course. ;)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
1. Wizards toting six-shooters and ten gallon hats

2. Crashed alien spacecraft turned dungeons

3. Evil Nazi cults of Doom

Remove ads