• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gloves of Storing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenon

First Post
I glanced through the FAQ, but didn't see and answer to this:

In our game tonight, a question about Gloves of Storing came up.

From the SRD:
Glove of Storing

This device is a simple leather glove. On command, one item held in the hand wearing the glove disappears. The item can weigh no more than 20 pounds and must be able to be held in one hand. With a snap of the fingers wearing the glove, the item reappears. A glove can only store one item at a time. The item is held in stasis and shrunk down so small within the palm of the glove that it cannot be seen. Many owners of gloves of storing find them to be useful and dramatic ways to store weapons, wands, and-because the item is stored in stasis-even lit torches. If the effect is suppressed or dispelled, the stored item appears instantly. Although it is handy to have two of these gloves, the creation process yields only one.

Caster Level: 6th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, shrink item; Market Price: 2,200 gp; Weight: -.

The question was about an item held "in statis". The stored weapon had a spell cast upon it (Spikes). We could not find if the duration of the spell was suspended while the item was stored in the glove or if the spell duration was not affected and thus ran out as it would if the item was not stored in the glove.

The "lit torch" example in the text seemed to give a good argument that it would be suspended, but from a DM point of view this would seem to make the gloves a little more powerful that the designers had intended.

Does anyone have any Sage quotes on this (or did I miss it in the FAQ if this is covered)?

Last edited:

Berk

First Post
There is no ruling for it anywhere on spell durations. Personally I would say that the spell keeps ticking away as the item is stored. The flame/torch thing is just really for torches that you want to store in them. I wouldn't take this to mean that spells don't continue to tick away. I would say only natural effects get put into stasis just like temporal stasis itself.

Pax

Banned
Banned
"In stasis" means, "in a state lacking change" ... get a dictionary, look up "stasis".

Time essentially stops for anythign stored in the glove. The spell's duration would be suspended temporarily while the weapon was stored.

dkilgo

First Post
Yeah, the item would still have whatever enhancement type spell was cast on it before going int o the glove because it is in "stasis".

I would think that due to the cost of the item that they originally intended the item to be used in a similar fashion. I mean, heck, if the item was so cheap why aren't there two gloves instead of just one?

Get two of these gloves, and you could store some pretty nasty stuff in them. Makes encounters that more interesting.

kreynolds

First Post
As much as I hate it, because it would make delayed blast fireball beads really nasty grenade-like weapons, I have to agree with Pax on this.

dkilgo

First Post
Yes, have 2 delayed blast fireballs in two seperate gloves, and WHAAMMMMOOOOOO! Dead bodies everywhere.

Berk

First Post
get a dictionary, look up "stasis"

And if you look up the word magi in the dictionary you would come to the conclusion that a cleric could use a robe of arch magi. RL definitions rarely have anything to do with a fantasy game. If they can do what you all say they can then who wouldn't have them? For 2k a pop? You could make a GMW last you your entire adventuring career if you had it cast by a 15th level or higher wiz/sor.

Last edited:

dkilgo

First Post
Berk said:

And if you look up the word magi in the dictionary you would come to the conclusion that a cleric could use a robe of arch magi. RL definitions rarely have anything to do with a fantasy game. If they can do what you all say they can then who wouldn't have them? For 2k a pop? You could make a GMW last you your entire adventuring career if you had it cast by a 15th level or higher wiz/sor.

Please, explain.

How would you go about doing that with a GTW?

kreynolds

First Post
dkilgo said:
Please, explain.

How would you go about doing that with a GTW?

Greater Magic Weapon lasts 1 hour per level. If you're 15th level, that's 9,000 rounds. If you're average combat session is 20 rounds long, it's gonna take a long time to use up that entire duration if you store the weapon in a Glove of Storing while not in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads