Glowing Weapons

Bagpuss

Legend
From the SRD (DMG).

Light Generation

Fully 30% of magic weapons shed light equivalent to a torch (20-foot radius). These glowing weapons are quite obviously magical. Such a weapon can’t be concealed when drawn, nor can its light be shut off. Some of the specific weapons detailed below always or never glow, as defined in their descriptions.

But from the same source...

Special Qualities

Roll d%. If the item is a melee weapon, a 01-20 result indicates that the item sheds light, 21-25 indicates that the weapon is intelligent, 26-35 indicates that the weapon is both intelligent and sheds light, 36-50 indicates that something (a design, inscription, etc.) provides a clue to the weapon’s function, and 51-100 indicates no special qualities. If the item is a ranged weapon, a 01-05 result indicates the weapon is intelligent, 06-25 indicates that something (a design, inscription, etc.) provides a clue to the weapon’s function, and 26-100 indicates no special qualities.

Now does that look like only 20% of magic melee weapons produce light and 0% of range weapons produce light. So I'm confused as to how that adds up to 30% of all magic weapons produce light.

Also how many people actually have glowing magic weapons in there campaigns.

shilsen

Adventurer
The stranger thing is that according to the DMG, 15% of magical melee weapons are intelligent. That's a very large number, considering how many magic items exist in a 3e campaign world that functions at the magic/power levels specified in the core rulebooks.

And yes, I agree that magical glowing weapons are silly.

I like the magic glowing weapons. Lets all the bandits know the players have powerfull, expensive things that can be sold very fast and easily on the streets.

Shin Okada

Explorer
shilsen said:
The stranger thing is that according to the DMG, 15% of magical melee weapons are intelligent. That's a very large number, considering how many magic items exist in a 3e campaign world that functions at the magic/power levels specified in the core rulebooks.

And yes, I agree that magical glowing weapons are silly.

Just 15% of randomly generated ones. Large percentage of magic weapons are not the ones randomly generated (carried by NPCs, bought by PCs, made by PCs, intentionally placed by the DM, etc.)

And glowing weapons are useful for those without Low-Light vision or Dark Vision.

kreynolds

First Post
shilsen said:

I'm curious. Exactly what magic/power level would that be?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Shin Okada said:

And glowing weapons are useful for those without Low-Light vision or Dark Vision.

Even if you have Low-Light-Vision, a glowing weapon can be useful: if you're in a pitch-black cave without light source, your see-twice-as-far-as-humans-in-faint-lighting-sight won't help you that much

Remove ads