• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

glue help

Drachenherz said:
This is super heavy-duty stuff. Only use this stuff if you don't EVER plan to mess with the figure again. If you wish to strip the piece, or do modifications later, or even if you need to do repairs, this is not the product for you. This should only be used on pieces which are only going to be used for tabletop play heavy-use figures that need a super hold.

Is it a thin glue, or more of a putty? Does it fill gaps? All my minis will end up used for gameplay, I'm not that great of a painter and rarely do modifications. I want something that I can use on minis that need a strong hold. Can I get away with using it if I don't want to pin things like wings in place? Or do I still need to pin if I use it?

alsih2o

First Post
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
Is it a thin glue, or more of a putty? Does it fill gaps? All my minis will end up used for gameplay, I'm not that great of a painter and rarely do modifications. I want something that I can use on minis that need a strong hold. Can I get away with using it if I don't want to pin things like wings in place? Or do I still need to pin if I use it?

It is thicker than superglue (cyanoacrelates) or elmers, but not quite silly putty.

It does fill gaps, like in radiators. :)

It will HOLD. It will be in the shape you make it after you melt the mini. It is the big-hoopty of metal holders, short of actual welding.

pogre

Legend
alsih2o said:
Great suggestions so far. If I could add one more it would be to look for a product called JBWeld. You can find it at an auto parts store.

JBWeld is used for metal to metal gluing, on things like radiators. Very strong. :)

All of these years using JBWeld in the garage it never once occurred to me to use it on minis. I got to try that sometime! Thanks Mark!

Drachenherz

First Post
Librarian...

It all depends on how the fit is on the parts. If they seem to have a strong atachment point and are stable, then you can get away without pinning. However, you should test the hold and stability BEFORE painting. If they seem to come loose easily, or just don't feel right, then rip them off and do a drill & pin. This is one reason you should always do a dry fit before you apply the glue!

Drachenherz said:
It all depends on how the fit is on the parts. If they seem to have a strong atachment point and are stable, then you can get away without pinning. However, you should test the hold and stability BEFORE painting. If they seem to come loose easily, or just don't feel right, then rip them off and do a drill & pin. This is one reason you should always do a dry fit before you apply the glue!

Oh, I know how to pin, I just dislike doing it. I don't have a lot of time to paint and pinning takes up much of that time, so the models that need it tend to stay in my unfinished box, never to be assembled.

slorak

First Post
Cthulhu's Librarian said:

I would recommend always pinning multipart pieces if you can. Sometimes the pieces are just too small to drill and pin. That way you can pretty much guarantee that they won't come apart.

As for filling gaps nothing beats good old fashioned "Green Stuff" kneadatite. Just remember to lubricate your tools, fingers etc. with at least water (some people use vasoline, spit, etc.) so that it doesn't stick to them. It is also easier to sculpt with after about 20 minutes of set time.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

-Mike

Remove ads