• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GM Prep Time - Cognitive Dissonance in Encounter Design?

Rechan

Adventurer
Hussar. I brought up Paizo's Modules and I was talking about them in comparison to 4e modules, because two things were being discussed in this thread:

Monster statblocks.

The notion that monsters live for 5 rounds, and the supposed disconnect between the emphasis on combat and the monster's role in the story.

I was bringing up Paizo/WotC's modules to make a point that 1) a lot of the good stuff about the NPC is in the written text of the NPC, not the statblock (referencing the first point), and 2) that even great modules can have the same flaws as a clearly bad module, both ignoring what I considered important to an adventure module. I was pointing out a mistake that both made.

Wicht has been arguing with Me over my interpretation of Paizo's module. He's not really been participating in anything else.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Rechan - I mostly agree with what you're saying.

What makes Paizo modules great is most certainly not contained in the stat-blocks or in the monster design. It's in the flavour and whatnot. What makes WOTC modules generally bad is a lack of flavour and whatnot.

My point is, this whole thing has zero to do with monster design which is what David Noonan is talking about. Several people are trumpeting adventure design as showing what's wrong with monster design.

On a totally side note, just 'cos it's bugging me. It was mentioned that the goblins captured a horse. So, the BBEG, despite having a ride skill, doesn't ACTUALLY have her own horse. But, this level of detail is seen as a good thing. :erm:

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Yes, that's the post I started with. What he seems to be looking for is, to me, poorly defined. It looks to be subjective to the given GM's playstyle.

Clearly you haven't read it if you think it has anything to do with a given GM's playstyle.

No argument there. But exactly which bits of stat blocks are useful to that end, and which aren't? Have too many bits, and the thing is cumbersome. Have too few, and we gripe that possibilities aren't presented. Damned if they do, and damned if they don't!

Let me requote myself then.

When everything is a hammer, the only thing players get out is a hammer.

We've been comparing one of Paizo's earlier modules with the first 4e module. Let's jump ahead a few years.

Have the 4e modules changed? Nope. Enemies exist just to die. This is very much a part of monster creation - if monsters are just blobs of combat, and in 4e they are indeed blobs of combat, that's all they do. They serve their function, and their function is nothing more then "Oh hey an enemy *splorch*" As cool as skill challenges can be, because they're so structured, there's no sudden case of bluffing your way past the monster. Look at Revenge of the Giants. Skill challenges, just like combats, are their own separate encounters, taking place outside the narrative instead of alongside or inside. They give you two or three skills you can use, and that's it - when you flop them, woops, combat time.

Compare this to how open ended Stolen Land makes it on sneaking into a bandit fort, even telling you the players could indeed simply bide their time and try to assassinate the Stag Lord while he sleeps, or how they might kill one bandit and set the others in the camp against each other with accusations. Don't have the best bluff or disguise? Taking an enemy captive and getting information from them earlier can help you there, scoring you code words and the secret that the bossman has a weakness for alcohol.

Look at the 4e statblock for the monster. Look at how much is dedicated to the combat blob part. Now look at what's dedicated to everything else. Do you see it? That small block on skills? That's it. And even that doesn't say much, as the only time you'll see those skills come into play is if the enemy has a skill power or if your set a skill challenge up around it.

Instead of Burning, let's look back at Stolen Land. Let's skip ALL flavor entirely and just jump to the Stag Lord's stats. Literally, just the numbers. What do we get?

We know that he has a penalty to his stats due to being sickened from too much booze. We know that his favored targets are other humans. We know that, as a ranger, he has bow skills and is built to his terrain. He has high stealth and acrobatics, which gives some major clues on how he would fight. His physical stats are good with a very good dexterity, but his mental stats are low, with his wisdom being especially bad and his charisma being slightly better, which is reflected in how easily his bandits abandon him as soon as he falls (which is, in turn, in their stat blocks).

Do you see what happened there? Even the stuff based purely on combat told you things about the Stag Lord's character. Even just the strict combat blob bits gave hints and hooks on how to play him outside of the actual fight. That one stat block tells you more then entire modules in 4e tells you about their bad guys.

Once you go just one step beyond the pure numbers, it gets even worse. Still sitting in the stat block, now we look at the words. His sickness is gone once he sobers up, suggesting a number of ways to help keep him weaker. In melee he moves around a lot to flank with his bandits, so he knows and uses teamwork (the bandits themselves had a note that they'd often use terrible tactics due to being poorly trained. You'd never see that in a 4e creature). Most importantly, the fight isn't segregated from the narrative - you can wait for him to pass out and then just coup de grace him. No battlemat needed!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Can I raise a practical question at this point?
The text of the module contains a horse on the top part of the dungeon [that has been captured by goblins] ... Some DMs allow for fluidity and activity in their dungeons ...
Then why does this horse even exist? Surely the goblins, if true at all to their kind, would have eaten it at the first opportunity...

As for the rest, I suspect most of the issues raised could be solved by simply making the modules longer and more detailed, via either more pages or (preferably) more efficient use of space.

Lan-"yum, horsemeat"-efan

Sir Wulf

First Post
Can I raise a practical question at this point?Then why does this horse even exist? Surely the goblins, if true at all to their kind, would have eaten it at the first opportunity...
In the scenario, the horse had already killed several goblins. Others managed to lure it into a shed and pen it in. Frightened by the angry stallion, they didn't yet dare to face it again.

While it's unlikely that Nualia would try to ride this particular horse, it's very possible that Nualia could escape the party's clutches, heading overland to gather new allies. Her "irrelevant" abilities allow the scenario to be more than just a dungeon crawl: Surviving NPCs can resurface later in the series, becoming resources for future encounters.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
So far we've all been quibbling over the size of the block, but I think we're missing something that is the biggest difference to me.

With the 3e Balor, I not only need the monster's statblock. Before the fight I have to look up all those SLAs, and review the Balor's Feats, and see how all of these interact with the rest of the Balor's stat block. Then I have to use all of this to decide its tactics. Then I need copies of all of these spells at the table for reference when the balor uses them.

With the 4e Balor, not only is the statblock smaller, but all pertinent rules are in the block itself. I do not have to memorize what a spell does, or have a reference on hand, or shuffle through a stack of papers. It's in one place, the same place with its AC.

So it's not just the SIZE of the block, but that all the rules info is located in one reference point.

It's funny, but my experience is almost the opposite of yours. In the 3e statblock I glance down at the feats and powers of the Balor and I know immediately how they work. Part of it is having a good memory for details, and part of it is the conscious decision to standardise the way that effects worked in 3e, and I think it was a good thing. (nb, in 3.5e they even gave tactics blocks for the Balor and similar creatures to help DMs run them)

In the 4e statblock, I can't do that. Everything is a special case for everything. Nothing I know about something else can be transferred. I have to read whole statblocks every time to see how something is supposed to work rather than just -know- it.

Can you imagine how frustrating that was for me?

I can fully understand how 4e would be better for people who needed to look things up every time; it was worse for people like me though!

The other issue is, and I apologise for reiterating my earlier point, that in 4e the paragon and epic creatures have a severely limited palette of options to choose from. If you've seen one Pit Fiend, you've seen them all - there is pretty much only a few things he can do in a fight, ever. Sure, he could be given DM Fiat rituals for funky things out of the combat, but when the fight starts, he's only got a few approaches (and IIRC it might be quite easy for a fire resistant party to shut him down).

Ironic that in 3e creatures struggled to last more than 5 rounds and do 5 things, while in 4e they tend to last much longer and have less options so have to repeat tricks more often! It is almost as if the designers decided to stretch two axis (how long a fight lasts goes up, number of available options go down) when they really wanted to stretch one.

Regards,

pemerton

Legend
Let's skip ALL flavor entirely and just jump to the Stag Lord's stats. Literally, just the numbers. What do we get?

We know that he has a penalty to his stats due to being sickened from too much booze. We know that his favored targets are other humans. We know that, as a ranger, he has bow skills and is built to his terrain. He has high stealth and acrobatics, which gives some major clues on how he would fight. His physical stats are good with a very good dexterity, but his mental stats are low, with his wisdom being especially bad and his charisma being slightly better, which is reflected in how easily his bandits abandon him as soon as he falls (which is, in turn, in their stat blocks).
Unless I'm missing something, all of this but for the favoured enemy would be present in the equivalent 4e statblock - I haven't seen intoxication done, but presumably it would be -2 to attacks and checks.

Once you go just one step beyond the pure numbers, it gets even worse. Still sitting in the stat block, now we look at the words. His sickness is gone once he sobers up, suggesting a number of ways to help keep him weaker. In melee he moves around a lot to flank with his bandits, so he knows and uses teamwork (the bandits themselves had a note that they'd often use terrible tactics due to being poorly trained. You'd never see that in a 4e creature). Most importantly, the fight isn't segregated from the narrative - you can wait for him to pass out and then just coup de grace him. No battlemat needed!
I don't see why this couldn't be done in 4e.

delericho

Legend
To drive home my point, let's compare two modules. Paizo's Burnt Offerings and WotC's Keep on the Shadowfell. The first, most think is a good module, the second most think is a bad module. Let's look at the villains, and the amount of effort put into them. In Burnt Offerings, the background of the entire module revolves around the main villain.

There's a lot more to the villains in "Burnt Offerings" than just that BBEG. The most memorable ones, and the ones that really make the adventure what it is, are actually the Goblins. Just standard goblins, and yet by presenting them a little differently (including that "goblin song"), Paizo turn them into something quite special. And it's that that makes "Burnt Offerings" a great adventure, and it is that that is largely missing from WotC adventures (Meepo being the most notable exception).

As for the rest, I suspect most of the issues raised could be solved by simply making the modules longer and more detailed, via either more pages or (preferably) more efficient use of space.

Agreed. A big part of the problem is space, and a factor in that is the Delve format, as used by WotC. This turns even the simplest battle against the simplest foes into a one- or two-page spread.

I found this particularly noticable when recently reading through "Whispers of the Vampires Blade" and then "Eyes of the Lich Queen". Both are 3.5e Eberron adventures, but one predates the Delve format while the other uses it. Each adventure has four parts, with each part taking place in a different location, and each had a mix of combat and non-combat encounters. "Eyes..." has a page count four times that of "Whispers...", but it most certainly doesn't feel like four times the adventure. And, in fact, it is "Whispers..." that handles the villain better (both mechanically and in terms of the story).

Remove ads