GM Workshop

Black Guard NPC

I just created a "Deth Knight" using the black guard template...from DMG
He has 8 levels of fighter and 4 lvels of B.G.

I needed something "cool" so I gave him 2 weapon fighting with magic battle axes with a "chill" affect. He Also has a enchanted Falchion, with wounding. (Improved critical is like 17-20!) and weapon focus.
Spell capabilites are "limited" but he can cast a "Shocking Grasp" (40% arcane failure)

Most intersting I have provided an Armoured Wyvern as a mount. The creature is equipped with a blade attached to its tail. So it gets poison and a 1d10 +Str attack. (choice of one)
The creature has a amulent that remders it invisible, and I have giving it a Sneak Attack like its master...So using move silently and Invis...I should get a nasty attack in on a PC..
I have placed acurse on the amulet that afffects "good" aligned characters... That way they will be reluctant to "keep it " as treasure . PCs with Invisiblity items gets tooo old.
We had a party where the rogue was "invisble at all times unless I say different"

I just kept remebering the scene in Aliens, where Bishop the Android is attacked by the queen alien from behind, and gets torn in half... :] :] :]

themind

Explorer
Sweet, this actually worked... I mean, I'm glad people are using this... heh heh.

Mmm..intereesting ideas. The master of the Death Knight is a Lich Wizard, big patron of the Mark of Death. He couldn't be defeated by normal means a couple millenia ago, so the heroes of the time were able to imprison him in an orb.

The PC's have been given a task to finish finding the Dragonshard's that is needed to free him from his prison. However, they believe they are retreiving the shards to help the Mournland.

Oh and I was thinking of using the Death Knight from Dragonlance. It has a few nice abilities that the normal one doesn't have.

Mr_GrinReaper

First Post
Yeah, but one problem about DL death knights- fire!

A flaming weapon, fireball spell, alchemists fire, all of those are the bane of a DL death night, so I really wouldn't advise that, especially with a cleric in your party, all of those "divine fire" spells creep me out...

Mr_GrinReaper

First Post
hmmmmm.... well.. I dunno, i read it somewheres... About a little kender who accidentally set a death knight on fire with a special alcemist pebble thingie.... The death knight promptly died....

but i dunno, if it dosn't say it anywheres, maybe im just having brain freeze...

Nightcloak

First Post
themind said:
The PC's have been given a task to finish finding the Dragonshard's that is needed to free him from his prison. However, they believe they are retreiving the shards to help the Mournland.

Nice twist. Very nice. Can't wait to see (ah, hear about) the look on the players faces when you drop that bomb shell on them.

And for my 2 CP. Since the Death Knight is going to be a reaccuring character. I'd give him some good skill bonuses like Bluf (so the characters don't figure out he is lying to them) and maybe spot/listen so no one gets the drop on him. It would be worth a level or 2 of rogue to skill him up (plus the evasion never hurts).

capnfro

First Post
Magic Weapons

Rapida, You may want to look at giving the cleric a +1 Angelic shield (BoED). +1 AC vs evil and +4 saves vs. evil spells.

Tessilated armor idea is nice and the bow of radiance is cool. I personally have a problem with rod of wonder (Something about having a wizard in the party who loved to play around with his, all sick connotations aside. ;) ) Maybe also think about giving him a rod of Lesser Empower, Still, and Silent or a +3 Vest of Resistance (CArcane)

themind

Explorer
I've going over my options for this Death Knight. I think I will go with CR 19, by the DL DK entry, that means 15 Class levels.

I like the idea of at least 2 levels of Rogue for evasion. Then i was thinking 8 levels of Fighter, then 5 of Blackguard for the Smite good 2/day.

Is it worth it to go to level 5 in blackguard though?

I'm thinking of a 2 weapon fighter type.

capnfro

First Post
Blackguard?

I think that it is. Smite Good can be a real difference maker. If you are going two weapon fighting make sure you take weapon focus (primary weapon) and Oversized two weapon fighting (Complete Adventurer) It allows you to use the same size weapon in both hands without penalties to two weapon fighting. Gotta love it when you have a death knight bearing down on you with twin battle axes.

Also if all you want from rogue is the evasion also think about taking a ring of evasion instead. Allows you to use those class levels for other things if you want.

Remove ads