• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) GMing and High Level play

AK81

Explorer
Hi I'm totally new to this forum and signed up because I think Level up advanced 5e (a5e) looks very interesting.

I have a few questions about the game.

1. Does it work at higher levels? Many people thinks 5e does not work at higher levels. How does a5e compare?

2. Is it easy to GM? Many people feel that the GM is left to themselves in 5e, how does GMing feel in a5e

Stalker0

Legend
I can answer the second one a bit.

Ultimately GMing LU is similar to 5e. LU does have a lot more little things, players have a number of new little abilities to keep track of, and there are things like critical successes/failures, destiny abilities, and such to also remember. So there are more levers in the game both to use and to track.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I can answer the second one a bit.

Ultimately GMing LU is similar to 5e. LU does have a lot more little things, players have a number of new little abilities to keep track of, and there are things like critical successes/failures, destiny abilities, and such to also remember. So there are more levers in the game both to use and to track.
Hey Stalker0, are these items modular?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We tried to provide more tools for GM in LU (look at the monster entries for an example of that!)

And Paul Hughes rebalanced CR and encounter design math which is an enormous help at higher levels. Plus the monsters are more interesting.

AK81

Explorer
Thanks for the answers :)

A follow up question:
How is the economy working? Is there enough things to use gold on? Or will gold become meaningless after a few levels?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

A follow up question:
How is the economy working? Is there enough things to use gold on? Or will gold become meaningless after a few levels?
There’s tons of new stuff to spend gold on. Every magic item has a price. There’s strongholds. Hirelings. And loads more.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Hi I'm totally new to this forum and signed up because I think Level up advanced 5e (a5e) looks very interesting.

I have a few questions about the game.

1. Does it work at higher levels? Many people thinks 5e does not work at higher levels. How does a5e compare?

2. Is it easy to GM? Many people feel that the GM is left to themselves in 5e, how does GMing feel in a5e
My players are only level 4 (1st level start) but I'd say that it's about as easy to gm & in some ways even easier. Most of my o5e games ran up into the low to mid teens & a big problem with that is that the PCs don't have anything to care about in the world that the player can't simply decide they no longer care about because it presents some minor inconvenience & they don't have anything they need to set goals for. With the strongholds followers & crafting those all change & I've already seen players setting goals to research/aim for things they need along those lines even at this low level. @Stalker0 is right about there being more levers that both GM and players players can push pull or lean on, but most of those levers are things that get tracked on player sheets like the player of mine who recently reported having 3 days invested in learning a tool I know for a fact he's put in quite a bit more.

A follow up question:

There are tons of ways to spend money from crafting & paying tutors to learn new skills to buying strongholds & hiring followers that each provide their own array of benefits to the PC & ways that story can hook onto the PCs.

AK81

Explorer
We tried to provide more tools for GM in LU (look at the monster entries for an example of that!)

And Paul Hughes rebalanced CR and encounter design math which is an enormous help at higher levels. Plus the monsters are more interesting.
You say that the CR is rebalanced. Does that mean that building an encounter will actually feel as easy or deadly as indicated?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You say that the CR is rebalanced. Does that mean that building an encounter will actually feel as easy or deadly as indicated?
It's complicated & there are a lot of variables but in general monsters are much better & more interesting in play. Everything from the eyepopping demilich to standard fare popcorn monsters are rebalanced & there are a few pages in the back of monstrous menagerie explaining it without even getting into elite monsters & things like the squad template*

*I think it's template, mayybe some other word

Last edited:

Larnievc

Hero
Is it easy to GM? Many people feel that the GM is left to themselves in 5e, how does GMing feel in a5e
I used the travelling rules on the fly for the first time last night. If you think on your feet you can get a really nice organic encounter. I used to hand wave travel because it thought wandering monsters were too gamey but the two harpies that randomly rolled up when looking for fire wood deved up to a nice little side quest.

Remove ads