• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E GMs of EN World: What player behavior annoys you the most?

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Selfish indulgent behavior is right behind disruptive behavior for me.

At a con, a character no only polymorphed into a creature but went to lengths describing how he flew up high with a one hit die opponent, dropped him, cast a spell on him before he hit the ground and on and on and on...

Jackwagon! We are all waiting to take a turn as well! A quick summary will do!

The DM with a particularly long pinky nail then wanted to shut the event down because "it was late" and he was tired (not that it was over). Dude, we drove 8 hours to come to the con, we listened to numbf*ck give an exposition on a simple kill and now you want to shut it down?! RIP OFF!

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Players don't pay attention during the game and need a recap every time it's their turn and player who miss session, but get angry that they weren't consulted on group decisions that occurred during the session they missed (especially if their absence occurred with little to no-notice).

Players who consistently ignore the basic pattern of play outlined in the PHB (pg 6) and instead roll willy-nilly skill checks without being asked.

Craig B.

Ralivan
I'm sure this has been mentioned in the post before, but it is something I find annoying. I realize D&D is a Role Playing Game, but there is such a thing as too much role playing. Sometimes lengthy descriptions disrupt the flow and some people need to understand they're playing a game, not writing a novel.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I'm sure this has been mentioned in the post before, but it is something I find annoying. I realize D&D is a Role Playing Game, but there is such a thing as too much role playing. Sometimes lengthy descriptions disrupt the flow and some people need to understand they're playing a game, not writing a novel.

Yep. One thing I explain is that concise statements of goal and approach or dialogue add up over the course of a session. You don't have to get it all out right here.

Truthfully this doesn't come up a lot for me though. More frequently what I'll see is someone who busts out a huge backstory and then just sits quietly during the game. It's like, what, did you get everything out that you wanted to say before we started actually playing?

Remove ads