• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GM's: what was your first module?

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
devilbat said:
I think the first modules I ran were the Avatar trilogy from TSR.
*shudders*

Gads, those were awful. "Your characters get swept along, and watch all these really important NPCs - none of whom can be killed because they have uber-powerful-super-DM-magic protecting them - do all the cool stuff while you are just hangers-on."

Yuk. The classic example of "the story is more important than the PCs, and the story must go railroading along at all costs" - and I say this having read them intending to DM them, not having had to play them! Worst "published module" as far as "your PCs can watch the DM's characters do all the cool stuff" ever. :(

--The Sigil

devilbat

First Post
The Sigil said:
Yuk. The classic example of "the story is more important than the PCs, and the story must go railroading along at all costs" - and I say this having read them intending to DM them, not having had to play them! Worst "published module" as far as "your PCs can watch the DM's characters do all the cool stuff" ever.

Yep, I learned early on what doesn't work. But, I'll still take them over the first five Dragonlance modules.

BWP

Explorer
cildarith said:
Well, the carbuncle and necrophidius (as well as the berbalang and bloodhawk) were all introduced in previous issues of White Dwarf, not issue #18 which included The Halls of Tizun Thane.

These creatures made their first appearance as follows:
Berbalang: White Dwarf #11
Bloodhawks: White Dwarf #2
Carbuncle: White Dwarf #8
Necrophidius: White Dwarf #7
:)

Really? OK, I didn't know that. The module text made no mention of their prior appearances, and I haven't seen those earlier issues. My apologies.

Aeric

Explorer
Qualidar said:
Reading the recent spate of threads on DM experience makes me wonder: What's the first thing you ran? For me it was D&D Basic (red box): Palace of the Silver Princess.

~Qualidar~

Same here.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Quest for the Heartstone. Loved that map (and all the similar ones in the DL series). Killed all the characters. Much Coke was drunk and pizza was eaten. Job well done. :D

This thread could really do with a poll.

Dark Dragon

Explorer
It was Dragon's Rest, the last part of a trilogy. The other two parts were played by different DMs (same group). Must been in 1993, I think.
I liked the setting: a floating island somewhere on the Ethereal Plane and used the map of that island later a second time in a homebrewed adventure (based in Netheril shortly before the fall of the empire).

Here's the cover (a bit worn, I used it as an extension to my DM screen for a while):

attachment.php

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads