• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GM's: what was your first module?

I began with an adventure of my own creation (Castle of Amburst The Mad). I wanted the PCs to have a historical feel for Darksun. It consisted of a castle buried 1000's of years ago that the PCs had to locate, enter and deal with its defenses, experimental residents (Darn those Sorcerer-Kings when they were yet to be a dragon).

Then as soon as they returned to their retainers they were thrown into slavery by Tithian for

FREEDOM.

Freedom was a solid enough game for Darksun followed of course by ROAD TO URIK.

Blue_Kryptonite

First Post
Count me in withthe homebrewers. I didn't trust printed modules for a long time, so the first I ever used was Queen of the Demonweb Pits. I bought it from a kid in school for fifty cents. No idea where he got it.

My original campaign was almost entirely recycled Star Trek: TOS and Space: 1999 plots relocated to a medieval setting. :)

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Borrowed DA1 - Adventures in Blackmoor for my first adventure, played with 12th level characters using only a borrowed Expert Rulebook (didn't have the Basic Set at the time). You can see vestiges of this adventure in The Burning Sage's Demesne, which I wrote years ago for Eric Noah's Adventure contest.

Then I borrowed a copy of the Basic Set and re-started a campaign, beginning with "Bargle's Keep" in the DM's Guide, then B6 - The Veiled Society (first D&D product I ever bought - got it at the local KB Toy Store) and B8 - Journey to the Rock. Then X1 - Isle of Dread, followed by N4 - Treasure Hunt (yes, I know, it's AD&D) and then B2 - Keep on the Borderlands.

Can't remember what came next for me, but those were my formative experiences with D&D.

--The Sigil

VirgilCaine

First Post
I ran The Burning Plague. I substituted Ratmen for Kobolds and a Grimlock for the last boss. I ran it for a friend of mine, and my little brother, each ran one character. I printed out and taped little headshots to my NPC 3"x5" cards.

S. Baldrick

Explorer
Dweller's of the Forbiddin City was the first module that I ever DMed. Becaues of that, Yuan-ti, bullywugs, taoliso and oriential dragons will always have a place in my heart.

freebfrost

Explorer
B2 - Keep on the Borderlands.

I remember a late August evening, listening to Journey on the radio and filling in the optional maps with details on where each and every barrel of honey mead, ale, and beer was located in the bar. :)

Zzyzx

First Post
"Isle of Dread" came with the Blue "Expert" box, right? That one. I was 10, and by the end we had a triceratops for a pet.

Rules were less restrictive in those days, especially as a 10 year old DM.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads