• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GM's: what was your first module?

harmyn

First Post
bought my Moldvay/Cook Basic Dungeons & Dragons boxed set when I was 10. Ran the haunted tower sample dungeon just to get a feel for the game. First time I really got to play the game with friends, I ran the B2: Keep on the Borderlands. I still have the roughed up copy of the module even all these years later. Then I began making my own dungeon crawls and wilderness treks.

That module had it all though as someone else pointed out. A backdrop town, monsters-a-plenty, a political plot involving the monsters you could use or ignore as desired, an area you could expand your own stuff into, and even some random outdoor stuff.

A ways back I fully converted it over to 3e to run again. It became even more deadly because of the new versions of monsters, but it was as much fun as ever. :D

EdL

First Post
I'm supposed to remember that far back? HA! Either some homebrewed Melee & Wizard thing or a mini adventure for Runequest out of a magazine. The first real module would have been Apple Lane for Runequest. (I was a gamer for years before ever GMing D&D.)

viscounteric

Explorer
Temple of Elemental Evil. Spent the good portion of the summer going through the village, the moathouse, and finally down to the third level of temple, before they decided they wanted to adventure elsewhere. They proceeded to Verbobonc and then Shadowdale :uhoh: where we proceeded to convert to 2nd Edition.

Arnwyn

First Post
The very first published module I ever DM'ed was Wild Elves by Scott Bennie - while very inappropriate for the campaign it was set in (Dragonlance), it was an otherwise excellent module that easily fit into more 'traditional' campaign settings (I put it in the Forgotten Realms).

It ended with a TPK, near the latter portions of that adventure. Good times!

Greg K

Legend
The first published thing that I ran was the little dungeon (?) in the blue and white basic book with the red dragon atop the treasure pile. After that, I think it was the Village of Hommlet.

Btw, I think the very first published adventure that I went through as a player was Judge's Guild's Inferno. My best friend and I each made 6 six first level characters and ran them as henchmen to the high level PCs of the existing group we had joined. I remember after a few sessions, the characters reached the arch devil Pluto, who teleported the party back to the surface.

CarlZog

Explorer
EdL said:
I'm supposed to remember that far back? HA! Either some homebrewed Melee & Wizard thing or a mini adventure for Runequest out of a magazine. The first real module would have been Apple Lane for Runequest. (I was a gamer for years before ever GMing D&D.)

Death Test for Melee/Wizard was the first published module I ever played -- albeit solo! Those MicroQuests were great fun.

B1 for D&D was the first I ever ran.

Carl

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads