• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GMs, why are *you* doing the GMing in your group?

Are you GMing out of desire or necessity?

• I do it for fun

Votes: 178 78.4%
  • I do it because I have to

Votes: 49 21.6%

Stormborn

Explorer
Yeah, more choices needed. I do it for fun but (and I don't want to sound arrogant, this is the consensus of the group) I also do the best job of the people in the group willing to DM. I feel like when I DM everyone enjoys themself more than when someone else does. So, if I thought someone else would do as good or better than I do, then I wouldn't DM so much.

However, that being said, we try to rotate the DM duties periodically, but I wind up with the chair more often than not. Becuase its how I have the most fun and becuase its kinda neccesary.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
There should've been a "because no one else will" choice on your poll. Two years ago I let a campaign that was entering high levels fizzle and die because I was completely burned out. My plan was to let someone else run and I would play to recharge. In the last two years, I've gotten to play less than 10 times, because no one would commit to a steady game.

So, in August, I'll start dm'ing again, so I'll at least have an excuse to use the books I spent all that cash on.

I DM because I enjoy it, but also because I have to. I'm the only one in the group with the dedication to create and DM an ongoing campaign. My current campaign is 2 years running and should last at least another year.

I've had one break to play in that time and had a blast, one of my regular players told me "I've never seen a rogue played like that, that was so COOL!" Made my day. I love playing and wish some of my players could pick up the ball and run with it. But they gert mabe 6 sessioins inot the campaign, just about the time I'm having a ball with my PC and starting to really get into thing, and then they end it and want to play again. (sigh) Someday I may find a DM with some staying power that DM's more than a beer and pretsels game.

-Ashrum

TheGM

First Post
I much prefer to GM, but I do like to play once in a while. I just enjoy creating situations and encounters that the players can work through. Like someone else, the group determines how much fun I have - I'm an Epic Fantasy type, and the players that I enjoy the most are too.

Truth be told, I like to play once in a while just to see what other GMs are doing and keep my mind active.:D

Arc

First Post
I enjoy GMing, but I prefer playing as a PC. So when our regular GM's taking a break, wants to simply be a PC to avoid burnout, or the group as a whole is itching for multiple sessions a week, I put on my GM cap.

I really enjoy the act of GMing, and I like telling interesting stories, it's just that I don't like all the preparation and pregame work that's required for it. If I was a better improviser (and I consider myself a fairly good one) I'd be more comfortable with it, but I always feel like I'm letting my players down when I don't have a full adventure prepared, and so even when I'm doing well, I tend to doubt myself. I suppose I could get over it with more practice, but I simply like the no-worries feeling that comes from being a player. After all, I'm only personally responsible for MY fun that way, and I don't need to worry myself about everyone else's good time (though I do try to be conciencious)

galaga88

Explorer
A few reasons.

I need more practice GMing. I've not had a lot of experience with it, so every bit helps. I'm definitely getting better.

I was drafted. Apparently despite my low opinion of my first D&D campaign, the players pressured me into restarting it recently, which left me feeling quite flattered.

Necessity. Our group only has two regular GMs, and one does GURPS/Marvel/Robotech, while I do D&D/Call of Cthulhu. So if the group wants D&D, it falls upon me to do it!

Plus it's fun.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads