• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GMs, why are *you* doing the GMing in your group?

Are you GMing out of desire or necessity?

• I do it for fun

Votes: 178 78.4%
  • I do it because I have to

Votes: 49 21.6%

Dougal DeKree

First Post
Have to.

In our current group we have three GMs, one who is great fun for everyone, one who loves detective plots without giving hints (and nobody else in the group likes playing detective at all!) and me. So, since the fun-GM needs a break from GMing every now and then and likes to play, too, i took up the burden in my far too small spare time to set up campaigns and prepare GMing. And all of this to avoid searching for clues which will not be given in a campaign-setting noone understands except for the GM. Oh, and sorry for whining :\

Dougal

Li Shenron

Legend
Morte said:
Some people like GMing, and do it for fun. Others do it because it needs doing -- either it's their turn, or nobody else is prepared to, or because nobody else can do it satisfactorily, or there just wouldn't be a game if they weren't GMing one.

Which are you?

I absolutely do it for the fun of it, but we're lucky to be 3 (of 8, in the current groups) who enjoy DMing. That makes it easy to step down when you have other business to do in your life.

Ranes

Adventurer
Like most people here, I do it primarily because I enjoy it but also because there's only one other player in my game who enjoys DMing and his game takes place too far away for me to participate in it.

G-Monkey

First Post
I'm dangerously creative. I've always got some idea for a plot or a storyline. Any time I read a book or watch a movie, it inspires me. DM'ing is just one creative outlet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads