• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gnome sorcerer ISO prestige class for fun, maybe more

Ketjak

Malicious GM
Male gnome sorcerer, 3rd level, is seeking out a prestige class for fun and more, probably power. Must not suck. Prestige class must like:

STR 6, DEX 14, CON 16, INT 12, WIS 14, CHA 18; Skills (ranks only): Bluff +3, Concentration +6, Craft (Alchemy) +1, Craft (Brewing) +2, Diplomacy +1, Profession (brewer) +1, Spellcraft +3; Feats: Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (Concentration); 0-level: Daze, Detect Magic, Light, Read Magic, Resistance; 1st level: Color Spray, Mage Armor, Magic Missile;

Been flirting with Shadowcraft Mage, but its special abilities seem to call for full-round casting and my Dungeon Master is probably not going to allow non-core rules.

- Ket

edit: commas, not m's.

Last edited:

Diirk

First Post
If you're looking for non-core prestige classes that leaves you with.... archmage ! (and loremaster, I guess). Most of the spellcaster type PrCs are non-core, unfortunately. You'll also find as a sorceror with their very limited skills points/level (and typically low int) and no bonus feats, you'll have a much harder time qualifying for alot of PrCs compared to wizards.

I'd almost go as far as to say that you should choose your PrC when you create your character as a sorceror, but thats not quite true.

Ketjak

Malicious GM
Diirk said:
If you're looking for non-core prestige classes that leaves you with.... archmage ! (and loremaster, I guess). Most of the spellcaster type PrCs are non-core, unfortunately. You'll also find as a sorceror with their very limited skills points/level (and typically low int) and no bonus feats, you'll have a much harder time qualifying for alot of PrCs compared to wizards.

I'd almost go as far as to say that you should choose your PrC when you create your character as a sorceror, but thats not quite true.

I'm willing to go outside the core books (edit: and make a case for it). I'm not going to get he feats I need to take most PrCs, and certainly none of the ones in the DMG appeal to my sorcerous heart.

- Ket

PS - thanks for contributing, Elephant!

Caeleddin

First Post
From a purely power point of view, there isn't much that a Sorceror can be without giving up progression. Even with a rule of allowing you up to 20 levels of spell progression regardless of character level (so that a 10/20 Fighter/Sorceror will have the same spells per day as a 30 Sorceror), which I think is normal, but some people have interpreted the DMG as saying you only get spells up to character level 20 *shrugs*, you will be a few levels behind for the other PrCs. That you are a Gnome makes it significantly harder, as you are now stuck with being only a Sorceror unless you want to take the 20% XP penalty for multiclassing.

For you, I think the best you can do is go for Archmage at level 14. Loremaster is more or less closed to you as you will need to be about level 17 to get it (2 Knowledges is 1 too many for a Sorceror as a class skill). The other requirements is going to give you fits as well, as you will not have the feat count to do it, nor will you want to strangle your own spells known list with a bunch of divination spells. They are nice, but your party might not appreciate it as much if they are forever getting into battle scenarios (ie., in a hack and slash campaign).

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Eldritch Knight would be pretty easy for you to get into. Full BAB, 9/11 caster levels, and a bonus feat are pretty good for a Sorcerer.

I'd be tempted to buy a riding dog, get Mounted Combat from a level of Fighter, and go to Mounted Archery when you can. It'd be pretty fun! :)

Diirk

First Post
It'd be easy to get into, but would incur a multiclass experience penalty (bard doesn't give martial weapon proficiencies) and the payoffs probably not worth it. 1 average hp per level more and better BAB in exchange for 2 entire caster levels.. ouch. Its the sort of thing that probably needs to be planned in advance.

For non-core, hmm... shadowcraft mage is actually pretty good. The abilities don't need full round casting as far as I can see ?

From PGtF there's Shadow Adept, but I'm not sure that will fit in too well with your campaign setting (or if you even meet the prerequisites.. you'd need wis 15+ or worship Shar, from memory)

Most arcane prestige classes tend to fill niches rather than just being good overall classes to join.

the Jester

Legend
Argent savant is cool if you know the right spells (it emphasizes force effects- Complete Arcane).

I've got a few cool arcane ones- glancing at your spells, iirc color spray is a pattern- I have a Patternweaver prc that's homebrewed, don't know how open your dm is to that sort of thing but it's kinda neat.

Ketjak

Malicious GM
the Jester said:
Argent savant is cool if you know the right spells (it emphasizes force effects- Complete Arcane).

I've got a few cool arcane ones- glancing at your spells, iirc color spray is a pattern- I have a Patternweaver prc that's homebrewed, don't know how open your dm is to that sort of thing but it's kinda neat.

I'd love to see 'em. Got a URL?

I think I can qualify for both shadowcraft mage and argent savant... I'll post a build that does so by 10th level if I can. Glad I already took some Bluff.;)

My concern about the class abilities of the shadowcraft mage/argent savant affecting my casting time comes from my inability to read above a first-grade level. :/

Remove ads