D&D General Goblins in the workforce campaign idea

MarkB

Legend
Goblins form a large part of the workforce in the depths of Sharn in Eberron, working the foundries and factories in very poor conditions. They're not actually locked up or anything (usually), but they don't have much in the way of prospects either.

It'd be pretty easy to set such an adventure there, and then you have the rest of the city available to explore once they do move on from the factory.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Another idea for a short term campaign would be one where the PCs are all Goblins, starting at a ridiculously awful workplace, like a factory with horrible working conditions and pure drudgery. Something turns their world upside down, and then the goal will be to escape their workplace or somehow make it better.
I’d use Human Occupied Landfill instead of D&D.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I view goblins as scavengers and so tend to put them in the sewers under cities, in one game I had the city Gongfarmer be a Bugbear who ran the sewerage ponds outside the city wall, goblins were employed as muck rakers to sift through the crap and recover valuables from it, he also kept a couple of Otyughs around. The PCs got involved after an important relic was lost in the sewers and ended up in the ponds.

In another city there is an NPC ghoul named Rotten Eddy who leads a gang of goblins. Despite his eating habits Rotten Eddy become an informant to the PCs

Ixal

Hero
If you ever wanted to play a steampunk game then you should combine those ideas. Nothing says awful workplace than playing a coal shoveller in a over the top victorianesque factory.

Unless you want to go modern and introduce cubicle farms.

Wilphe

Adventurer
I refer you to:

GURPS_Goblins%2C_role-playing_supplement.jpg

Set in pseudo-Dickensian London

On the Industrial Revolution:​

"London is in the heart of the industrial revolution. Over the preceding century, industrialists appeared, flourished, and made machinery to perform every conceivable task, from spinning and weaving, to typing and cutting grass. They have yet to try to make the machines efficient, reliable or safe.

"To the average goblin on the street with nothing to do, the remarkable advances in technology frequently go unnoticed. The machines clank, belch and maim behind high factory walls, and the only outward signs of their operation are strange noises, smoke in the sky, the occasional horrifically injured victim of industrial accident, and large numbers of average goblins on the street with nothing to do."

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I refer you to:

GURPS_Goblins%2C_role-playing_supplement.jpg

Set in pseudo-Dickensian London

On the Industrial Revolution:​

"London is in the heart of the industrial revolution. Over the preceding century, industrialists appeared, flourished, and made machinery to perform every conceivable task, from spinning and weaving, to typing and cutting grass. They have yet to try to make the machines efficient, reliable or safe.

"To the average goblin on the street with nothing to do, the remarkable advances in technology frequently go unnoticed. The machines clank, belch and maim behind high factory walls, and the only outward signs of their operation are strange noises, smoke in the sky, the occasional horrifically injured victim of industrial accident, and large numbers of average goblins on the street with nothing to do."
heh, its a great game, Late Georgian London circa 1830 in a society where everybody is a murder-hobo
the design notes are really enlightening too

Remove ads