• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"God Bless America"

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You know, the song.

I'm not a super-patriot, but I was in scouting, and I'm pretty proud to be an American.

For years, I've groused about people not removing their hats and covering their hearts with their hands (or hats) in respect when the national anthem is played.

Now, we've got people doing exactly that when "God Bless America" is played...and STILL not doing it for the "Star Spangled Banner."

ARGH!

Is there any tradition in your country that drives you nuts when your countrymen screw it up?

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Yeah, this has always bugged me also. It's unfortunate, but you'd be surprised how many people in the military also don't do this properly or don't know the proper etiquette. It's quite sad actually. There are actually different etiquettes for indoor and outdoor events that most people don't know. Technically, when indoors, one is supposed to remove their hat (something we only have to do today, in past times wearing one's hat indoors was a serious breach of etiquette), then face the flag and stand respectfully. Putting your hand over your heart is not the proper etiquette for indoor venues, but, common practice has become to do just that. Although technically not proper etiquette, customs are malleable and do change with time. Putting your hand over your heart when indoors seems to have become acceptable in common use.

When outdoors in civilian clothes, protocol is to stand and face the flag (not the singer, if one is used), remove your hat and place your right hand over your heart. In uniform, and not under arms, proper etiquette is to face the flag (or the direction of the music if no flag is visible), stand at attention and salute upon the first notes of the National Anthem (or To the Colors, if it's used instead). One remains standing at attention, without saluting, during the sounding of Retreat or foriegn National Anthems.

On military bases, the national anthem is played before movies (at the base theatre). Correct etiquette during the national anthem is to stand at attention during the anthem (even in civilian clothes). Putting ones hand over your heart is the civilian equivalent of a salute. One does not salute indoors except when rendering an official reporting statement. Other than reporting statements, saluting is only done outside when wearing cover* (the only time cover is worn indoors is when under arms). You'd be surprised how many people in the military get this wrong, and how many actually teach others that putting your hand over one's heart is the correct form. I've even heard some say that's what they were taught in NCO Preperatory School by their instructors!

There are exceptions made at certain times for official events, but the etiquette being used will be stated at the beginning of the event (such as a change of command ceremony being performed in a hangar, it might be stated at the beginning of the ceremony that it will be considered outdoors - even though it's in a hangar - and hats will be worn).

*cover = hat

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Retired Air Force, 21 years.:) Although I'm by no means an expert on customs, courtesies and etiquette. The stuff above is things everyone in the military knows (or should know:erm:). There's actually a dedicated office on each base (usually) and a specific career field for the "experts". They are the ones that help set up ceremonies and such and know all of the proper protocols and rules of etiquette. But that career field would have just driven me crazy. There's also a career field for "Historian". Now that's one I would have enjoyed (if I hadn't wanted to fix aircraft that is).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
What I meant was that, as an Army brat, I know- or more accurately- knew a lot of that stuff.

But you just kind of rattled it off like you had lived it... as an adult.

And in case nobody's told you this recently, thank you for your service.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
See, this is one of those major differences between the UK and the USA.

I completely understand that Americans see it differently, but in all honesty our own National Anthem has always struck me as a boring, dirge-like offence to music and I wouldn't sing along with it if you paid me. :)

But if it means something to you (and for many people it does) then I'd never look down on anyone prepared to sing loudly and gustily (in tune is optional ;)) in public, so all power to you.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
... I completely understand that Americans see it differently, but in all honesty our own National Anthem has always struck me as a boring, dirge-like offence to music and I wouldn't sing along with it if you paid me. :)...

:eek:Hey now, we stole the melody from your national anthem and used it in our patriotic song "My Country, tis of Thee".;)

It's an all time classic in America! (And no jokes about us using your hand-me-downs!:rant: I'll make the necessary jokes about America around here.;))

Of course though, it may have just been due to a lack of originality on our part, or as a subtle snub (we had just finished a war with you guys like 15 years prior don't you know). But, Who really knows?:hmm::p

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Retired Air Force, 21 years.:) Although I'm by no means an expert on customs, courtesies and etiquette. The stuff above is things everyone in the military knows (or should know:erm:). There's actually a dedicated office on each base (usually) and a specific career field for the "experts". They are the ones that help set up ceremonies and such and know all of the proper protocols and rules of etiquette. But that career field would have just driven me crazy. There's also a career field for "Historian". Now that's one I would have enjoyed (if I hadn't wanted to fix aircraft that is).

They expect you to know all of that? I guess it's not that much information...

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Something to keep in mind about this, is that some people aren't exposed to these songs/situations very often. For instance, until my oldest son joined the Cub Scouts a couple years ago, it had been literally many years since I last heard or spoke the Pledge of Allegiance.

I can't remember the last time I heard "God Bless America" or the national anthem. (I don't go to sporting events very often.)

After a few or many years, one forgets what one is supposed to do at these moments.

So, set the example, yourself and quickly, so others who may have forgotten the proper respect can see and emulate your actions.

Bullgrit

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Really? You haven't heard it on televised baseball games? Hmmm...

But anyway, leading by example is probably a doomed cause. It looks like its the majority habit these days...at least at sporting events.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads