• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"God Bless America"

Danny - I gotta say, I'm stunned.

I hope this doesn't go too far afield (and if it does please let me know), but, Dallas, Texas; in the middle of US Army land, home of the most right wing patriotic bunch of folks I have ever had the pleasure of knowing and Cowboy Stadium doesn't have a flag ??!!??

Even the stadiums in San Francisco have US flags and they tried to ban the military from the parks due to the "Don't ask, Don't tell policy." Color me confused...

/Please note, this doesn't mean I'm downing San Francisco or their proposed policy (I served for 8 years so anyone can say anything, and I'll defend their right to say it, to me if necessary.) , I'm just, well, you know, shocked. And it's the best comparison I could find./

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
...Dallas, Texas; in the middle of US Army land, home of the most right wing patriotic bunch of folks I have ever had the pleasure of knowing and Cowboy Stadium doesn't have a flag ??!!??

Even the stadiums in San Francisco have US flags and they tried to ban the military from the parks due to the "Don't ask, Don't tell policy."

...I'm just, well, you know, shocked.

I think you need to stop putting so much stock in right-wing stereotypes, and you won't get shocked about things as often.

(I know you can't impart tone over the internet, but I'm not trying to say that to insult you. But you really shouldn't believe in the crap Faux News or whoever else spews about "the other side" without question.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
To be fair to T-Foot, Texas in general has a very conservative, patriotic bent, and D/FW is home to a lot of active duty and retired military (both notoriously conservative & patriotic demographics).

Our state capital, Austin, is a little liberal oasis (a la California style) and Dallas itself is kind of an Eastern style city...but by & large, God, Country & Football are what matter around here...usually in that order.

That (non-Texan, Tom Landry firing, eminent domain manipulating) JJ elevated football above country is just...him really rubbing people the wrong way. Again.

Usually, JJ is a bit more shrewd about his & his team's public image than this. This is a major public image gaffe, magnified (as T-Foot observed) by the demographics of the locale in which it occurred.

And he's been here 20 years!

Last edited:

SotS - ummm- I'm one of those conservative nut bags... *sheepish grin*

Danny- yeah - that's what I mean. It just sent me into brain freeze. So, are they setting up the gallows are they just gonna lynch him over the nearest tree limb? ;)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
SotS - ummm- I'm one of those conservative nut bags... *sheepish grin*

Heh heh, I left Circvs, so I'm blissfully ignorant once more of who's what.

For what it's worth, I would also call myself a conservative. Just, not a nut bag. I eat my nuts from a can, like a civilized person! :p

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Right now, its just a steady grumble.

The next time he makes a mistake, though, they'll bring it up...and everything else he did back to the firing of Tom Landry.

The HS State championships are almost over, so that won't be an issue, and I'm sure they have some kind of display when the Cowboys play...but if there still isn't a permanently installed flag by the time Cowboy Stadium hosts a Superbowl, they may just start up a lynch mob.

Right now, its just a steady grumble.

The next time he makes a mistake, though, they'll bring it up...and everything else he did back to the firing of Tom Landry.

The HS State championships are almost over, so that won't be an issue, and I'm sure they have some kind of display when the Cowboys play...but if there still isn't a permanently installed flag by the time Cowboy Stadium hosts a Superbowl, they may just start up a lynch mob.

It's a wonder the NFL hasn't stepped in and mad mention of it. I haven't read all of the charter, but I'm pretty sure it's in there somewhere. I might actually have to start following this. :)

Jack7

First Post
One: Times have changed. People are less concerned with tradition and ceremony. It's viewed as an anachronistic holdover of an older age. It's not that people are less patriotic today, they just feel less of a need to show it or prove it through codified actions. Personally, I feel that a little bit of something has been lost, but times and mores change. That's just the way it is.

Two: I think the other may be that, since WWII, there's been a trend away from displays or hints of Nationalism in many parts of the world (especially Europe, America, and Japan). IMO, the world got a very harsh, first hand view, of the dark side of Nationalism. A view of what can happen when Nationalism is taken to extremes. Now, I'm not saying that Nationalism is inherently bad or good. Nationalism is a thing, just like anything else, that in moderation is just fine. But, perhaps in the aforementioned areas, there's something in our collective psyches that left us a little gun-shy to displays of Nationalism. Anyways, I don't want this to devolve into a politics discussion (which we all know is verboten here), or devolve into a psychiatric discussion (which isn't verboten but IMO, is even a worse subject) so I'll just leave it here without any extra analysis. It just is what it is, and my two cents.

EM, very well said...

This is a little bit off direct subject maybe, but recently I've had to attend a number of funerals, some civilian, some military. People dying in my church, my squadron, vets, family of people in my squadron, etc.

Went to a couple of funerals for old folks in my church.

During one service now, the one in the church, not the graveside service, I kept hearing this high pitched sort of tinkering squelch. I don't hear very well so I couldn't make it out exactly, but after we left the service I asked one of my daughters if she had heard it. She rather disgustedly said, "yeah, during the service some people were texting. I saw them doing it."

I thought to myself, "Damn, is there nothing so seemingly unimportant nowadays that people can't stick their stupid phones into it?" Using your phone to tape or record some of the service, maybe. I get that, at least to some extent. Texting while it's going on?

What do the vast majority of people on the face of the Earth have to text, or say, that's so important it can't wait twenty minutes for a funeral to respectfully conclude? Let's face it, if you're that freaking important (and you're probably not), you got better things to do than be at a funeral anyway. And if you do I'll betcha dollars to doughnuts you're working whatever it is that's so vital, and not freaking texting about it.

So folks, in the big scheme of things are you really so incredibly important that the world can't do without an ultra-urgent, red-alert, right now, gotta-make-this emergency text or phone call from ya? Think the world didn't turn before that cell phone was invented, and that it won't keep turning long after both it and you are buried? My supposition is, probably so. I also suspect that in the big scheme of things, at certain times at least, (and I know this will be a big shock to some modern people) you just don't have that much of real importance to pass along.

And that's one of the things that really bothers me about modern people. Especially younger ones, but you'd be surprised how many clustered up old farts I see with blueteeth crammed in their head holes at all times as if they're on tactical alert for a surprise Martian invasion. If I didn't have to have a cell-phone for security reasons then I'd ram the thing down the throat of Mount Doom. Hard. Course it would probably spit it back out.

I'm looking forward to the day when you can cause one to remotely build up a massive feedback and explode. Like they used to do in Star Trek. Then they finally might be really entertaining.

As to the other points, about making mistakes in custom, I'm guilty of that too. Some weeks back I went with some kids in my squadron to run the flag up on the day after the soldiers at Fort Hood had been murdered. I was talking with my old man about it later and told him that they had run the flag up, "half-mast." He corrected me and it took me a moment to figure out what he was saying. I still say half-mast when I really mean half-staff. It's just habit I guess.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads