D&D 5E Godzilla is coming to Magic the Gathering, will he be stomping on Waterdeep next?

gyor

Legend
Reflective Carapace: Any time the tarrasque is targeted by a Magic Missile spell, a line spell, or a spell that requires a ranged Attack roll, roll a d6. On a 1 to 5, the tarrasque is unaffected. On a 6, the tarrasque is unaffected, and the effect is reflected back at the caster as though it originated from the tarrasque, turning the caster into the target.

If one treats Godzilla's breath as magical, reflective carapace should take care of it,

Reflective Carapace: Any time the tarrasque is targeted by a Magic Missile spell, a line spell, or a spell that requires a ranged Attack roll, roll a d6. On a 1 to 5, the tarrasque is unaffected. On a 6, the tarrasque is unaffected, and the effect is reflected back at the caster as though it originated from the tarrasque, turning the caster into the target.

If one treats Godzilla's breath as magical, reflective carapace should take care of it,
Except it specifically says “spell” and I would assume dragon breath and Godzilla breath work.

I do admit 5e, is kinda weird on this point.

gyor

Legend
In 5e, nothing special is required,if I remember correctly, to put the Tarrasque down. I realize a wish was needed in older versions.
Of course it could be argued the same for the Tarrasque versus Godzilla

Didn't in previous editions it required a wish spell and some other stuff. I forgot how hard they nerfed the Tarrasque in 5e.

I guess we are talking about faithful adaptation vs gameplay. This is not only happens with the kaijus, but also with the superheroes, and not only TTRPG but also with videogames and miniatures wargames, where Batgirl can defeat Uxas Darkseid or Daredevil vs Superskull. You know the power level is totally broken.

If we want a d20 version of the famous franchises monsters and characters, you have to accept these are going to be nerfed. Other option is characters with summoning powers to call avatars based in famous legendary heroes and kaijus. The summoned monster pets wouldn't be the original but more like totem spirits wearing "cosplay". Then the paladin summoning Captain America only would call a spirit with his image, but the original soul of Steve Rogers would be still in the Marvel Universe, or a necromancer summoning lord Soth wouldn't be calling the original from Krynn, but a spirit with his image.

* Have you read Hasbro will publish a Godzilla version of Monopoly? I would bet we can see other crossovers Toho Studios + Hasbro franchises.

* Don't forget the upcoming movie "Godzilla vs Kong". I wonder about Hasbro's plans for an adaptation of the monsterverse (shouldn't we sai "kaijuverse"?).

R_J_K75

Legend
I ran a Con game with the Tarrasque stomping about Waterdeep’s harbor. Godzilla indeed!

I would love to see an official adventure for this where Waterdeep takes massive casualties and damage permanently altering the city forever, leaving everyone to pick up the pieces and rebuild.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Back to the OP's actual post (if you really care who wins between the Tarrasque and Godzilla, it doesn't matter)... I doubt we'll actually get a setting book for Ikoria, or Eldraine, at least for a while.

The two Magic Setting books we've gotten so far are Ravnica, and soon Theros. These aren't exactly "old" settings from Magic lore long past, but they're not new either. Both have more than one card set about them, and remain some of the most popular Magic settings on Wizard's Rabiah scale (Ravnica has the best score of 1, and Theros a respectable 3).

Eldraine and Ikoria are both very unique, but they are still way too new. I doubt Wizard's isn't going to take a chance on setting books for them for at least a couple of years, and it will depend if they remain popular or not.

That said, both are likely to get artbooks, meaning you can absolutely expect they'll eventually get Planeshift Articles.

Cleon

Legend
I doubt we would see the Big Guy in D&D directly or even indirectly through a Ravinca-style book for Ikoria, but it looks like Godzilla's card will be a special version of "Zilortha, Strength Incarnate", so potentially there could be a thinly-veiled version if Zilortha gets a stat block in a D&D Ikoria book.

Well the Gargantuans that debuted in the 1st edition AD&D Oriental Adventures are obviously, ahem, "homages" to certain well known Japanese cinema characters. The Reptilian Gargantua is a poor imitation of Big G though. The poor thing doesn't even have a breath weapon!

Oh, and Spelljammer has a blatant imitation of Gamera in it, as well as a bunch of other monsters obviously created by someone who've been watching/reading a lot of Japanese monster media.

• had an effective range with his breath weapon that can hit spaceships in orbit (Godzilla Netflix Trilogy).

Godzilla did the equivalent years earlier in Final Wars when he blew up Gorath (or rather Monster X/a satellite surrounded by a hologram of Gorath).

Oh, and you omitted what I consider his most impressive feat of resilience:
  • Survived being shot by a black hole gun. Twice. (Godzilla vs Megaguirus).
What's that? How can I be be suspected of being a huge Godzilla fan? I don't even have any Godzilla toys, honest.

Remove ads