• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Going Archmage

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Well, the time has nearly arrived. My character that started out at 1st level is now almost ready to take his first level of Archmage. :)

I however have some questions on the Archmage abilities.

He's a Monk 1/Wizard 5/Elemental Savant (Fire) 9 right now. I'm holding off the 10th level of ES until he's Epic and has almost all his spell slots (probably at 21st). Before you ask why the Monk level is there, it's for RP purposes: he's an elf raised by human Monks, who soon realize he sucks at being a Monk but the resident Wizard sees his true potential, and the fire burning within. :)

So that leaves me with 5 Archmage levels before Epic. I was thinking about these High Arcana (questions enclosed):

- Mastery of Shaping, for those AoE spells up close and personal.

Q: My understanding is that the "spaces within the spell's area or effect that are not subject to the spell" are static. The caster determines which 5'x5' squares are not affected, and not targets. This is great for bursts. So, if the spell has a duration, like Cloudkill or Incendiary Cloud, is cast "around" my colleagues, they have to stay in place to avoid being affected. Correct? What happens with Cloudkill, when it moves? Does it move "around" the spaces that are not subject to the spell or do the spaces move with the spell?

- Mastery of Elements, to get around pesky energy resistances or immunities.

Q: If I cast a Fireball that has a Sonic energy type, does that change it's descriptor? Does it stay a Fire spell, for the purposes of Elemental Focus and Elemental Penetration? I'm asking because the text says "can only alter a spell with the acid, cold, fire, electricity, or sonic descriptor", but "The caster decides whether to alter the spell's energy type and chooses the new energy type when he begins casting". Does this mean energy type = descriptor? I'm asking because of some of Hyp's posts about "normally evil" creatures going good, but retaining the Evil descriptor.

- Arcane Fire, as a Su ability, ignores SR and there is no save. Ranged touch attack. Good use of a 1st level slot, instead of Magic Missile... He'll probably get a Ring of Wizardry (I).

- Spell Power x 2 for the rest.

Any comments? Suggestions? Answers?

Andargor

Last edited:

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
andargor said:

Q: My understanding is that the "spaces within the spell's area or effect that are not subject to the spell" are static. The caster determines which 5'x5' squares are not affected, and not targets. This is great for bursts. So, if the spell has a duration, like Cloudkill or Incendiary Cloud, is cast "around" my colleagues, they have to stay in place to avoid being affected. Correct? What happens with Cloudkill, when it moves? Does it move "around" the spaces that are not subject to the spell or do the spaces move with the spell?

That is my interpretation as well. It says that you use the high arcana when the spell is cast. There is no mention of being able to change it while the spell is in effect. So the "holes" in the spell would be static. With Cloud spells the holes would probably move with the spell.

andargor said:

Q: If I cast a Fireball that has a Sonic energy type, does that change it's descriptor? Does it stay a Fire spell, for the purposes of Elemental Focus and Elemental Penetration? I'm asking because the text says "can only alter a spell with the acid, cold, fire, electricity, or sonic descriptor", but "The caster decides whether to alter the spell's energy type and chooses the new energy type when he begins casting". Does this mean energy type = descriptor? I'm asking because of some of Hyp's posts about "normally evil" creatures going good, but retaining the Evil descriptor.

I'd assume that the descriptor changes as well. A sonic Fireball would have the [Sonic] descriptor. It simply doesn't make sense any other way.

andargor said:
- Arcane Fire, as a Su ability, ignores SR and there is no save. Ranged touch attack. Good use of a 1st level slot, instead of Magic Missile... He'll probably get a Ring of Wizardry (I).

Nice isn't it? This is a VERY useful one for Wizards. Sorcerers do not really benefit from it, unless they are willing to give up a 9th level spell slot so that they can cast 0th level spells that deal 5 d6 damage. :D

andargor said:

I don't think you can take Spell Power more than once anymore. Unless you are still playing 3.0, of course.

andargor said:

Well the choice of High Arcana really depends on the type of character you are playing. If you are fond of combat spells, Mastery of Elements and Master of Shaping are must-haves. If you use alot of touch spells, don't overlook Arcane Reach. Wizards, as I said before, can make some good use of Arcane Fire, and Spell Power is one that every Archmage should pick up. Mastery of Counterspelling is ok if you counterspell alot. Its particularly useful if you have the Improved Counterspell feat. I've never liked the one that lets you permanently prepare a spell. Seems to me to be a waste. If you want to cast the same spell over and over again, play a Sorcerer!

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Sejs

First Post
Yeah, I'd suggest only taking Spell Power once, and picking up Master of Counterspelling.

Reactive Improved Counterspells turning into a Reflection back on the caster are fun.

Archmage: "Horrid Wilting, eh? Oh really now. Have a taste of your own medicine, mister!"

Enemy Spellcaster: "Oh dear!" *dies a dusty death*

Then again, the Burn DC for fire elemental savants once they get that 10th level is crazy high... damn near unavoidable, really. So that's fun as well.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Thanks for the input! :)

Falling Icicle said:
I don't think you can take Spell Power more than once anymore. Unless you are still playing 3.0, of course.

I've re-read the description, and it seems it can be taken more than once, as long as slots are available for it.

Sejs said:
Archmage: "Horrid Wilting, eh? Oh really now. Have a taste of your own medicine, mister!"

Enemy Spellcaster: "Oh dear!" *dies a dusty death*

I just don't know. Never liked couterspelling much. I subscribe to the "the best defense is a good offense" philosophy. :)

And that wouldn't work, it needs to be a spell that requires a target. Finger of Death on the other hand...

But taking a feat to avoid a ready action for counterspelling, and only being able to affect targeted spells, I don't know...

I think I may go with Spell-Like Ability too. Maybe choose Overland Flight. At that level, I'll be flying all day...

And my last feat before Epic will probably be Quicken Spell, and take Multispell at 21st. Automatic Quicken and all that later.

Andargor

Last edited:

Sir Whiskers

First Post
andargor said:

I would rule that the spaces move with the cloud, but I could see an argument for the other interpretation. Since you're using an ability to modify a spell, you could rationalize it either way.

andargor said:

Again, you can interpret it either way, but it makes most sense to me to say, yes, the new energy type is the new descriptor. Otherwise you end up with some really strange situations: "Watch me cast a (sonic) fireball that does no fire damage, but does extra damage because I'm so good with fire spells!"

andargor said:

Arcane Fire is useful but not overwhelming, especially at the cost of a 9th-level slot. Consider:

magic missile: 5d4, no save, always hits, force effect (avg. 12.5 damage)
arcane fire: 6d6, no save, ranged touch attack (avg. 21 damage)

Sure you're doing 8.5 points of extra damage per 1st-level spell, but how often will you be worrying about such a low-damage effect? At high levels, combat is usually about slinging the most powerful spells around before the other guy does.

I recommend taking Spell-Like Ability - for the cost of a 5th-level slot (plus the slot of the spell chosen), you can turn one of your commonly used spells into an ability usuable at least 2/day. For your character, consider fireball (empowered?maximized?both?). Remember, you can boost the uses per day by boosting the slot of the spell chosen, e.g., fireball 6/day for a 9th-level slot.

Brekki

First Post
I've also played an archmage ... master of shaping and master of elements are very usefull to throw all your damage spells, no matter what resistance the enemy has, and to keep your fighters out of the heat.

I took spelllike ability shapechange 2/day ... very usefull to get out of or into any situation.

Arcane Fire is very nice, but you lose all your (su) abilities when you shapechange, so I didn't take it.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Sir Whiskers said:
Arcane Fire is useful but not overwhelming, especially at the cost of a 9th-level slot. Consider:

Brekki said:
Arcane Fire is very nice, but you lose all your (su) abilities when you shapechange, so I didn't take it.

Good points. I am reconsidering Arcane Fire. It is after all a 9th level slot, and I have better things to do with that. SR isn't actually that much of a problem anyway heading towards Epic.

Sir Whiskers said:
I recommend taking Spell-Like Ability - for the cost of a 5th-level slot (plus the slot of the spell chosen), you can turn one of your commonly used spells into an ability usuable at least 2/day.

Brekki said:
I took spelllike ability shapechange 2/day ... very usefull to get out of or into any situation.

Yes, Spell-Like Ability is looking more promising. The character has Boots of Levitation currently, and uses them a lot to get out of reach of baddies. Flying all day would be a boon. Shapechange is nice too, gives a lot of flexibility.

Choices, choices... :)

Andargor

Last edited:

apsuman

First Post
andargor said:
Well, the time has nearly arrived. My character that started out at 1st level is now almost ready to take his first level of Archmage. :)

I however have some questions on the Archmage abilities.

Andargor

You can not take Arcane fire until you have a ninth level slot for it. And it allows you to use any spell slot, so if you need to you can use a first level spell for it, if you need to you could use an eighth level spell for it.

But as has already been pointed out a magic missle would do 5d4+5 auto hit no save for 17.5 damage on average. A 1st level arcane fire bolt would do at most 6d6 (assume level 5 archmage) or 21 damage plus you have to roll to hit.

For comparison, an empowered magic missle would do 5 * (1.5*(1d4+1)) or an average of 25 (again, auto hit) and a third level arcane fire bolt would do 8d6 (assume level 5 archmage) for an average of 28 but you have to roll to hit.

WingOver

First Post
Spell-like ability is awesome, especially for spells you would cast more than once a day. They should probably be above 5th level to justify the cost of using a 5th level slot. Consider:

* Energy Immunity - (TaB) lasts 24 hours, you'd be immune to 2 types of energy per day.

* Moment of Prescience - lasts 1/hr level, and those can come in really handy for a wide range of contingencies. With 2/day, you don't have to be shy about using the first one.

* Greater Arcane Sight - this one is awesome, especially against enemy spellcasters... you could see their protection spells and cast the appropriate attack spell from the start. It doesn't last that long so its a good candidate as a spell-like ability 2/day.

I really liked the fireball 6/day suggestion. Seems to fit your general theme.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Sir Whiskers said:

Sure you're doing 8.5 points of extra damage per 1st-level spell, but how often will you be worrying about such a low-damage effect? At high levels, combat is usually about slinging the most powerful spells around before the other guy does.

Good points. But one does not take Arcane Fire for its "overwhleming" power. One takes it so that his Wizard can prepare alot of utlity spells and then convert them into Arcane Fire if he runs out of combat magic. I don't know how many times I've run out of combat spells and had to sit out the rest of the battle when the rest of the party could have really used some help. With Arcane Fire at least I could continue to contribute to the battle. And 5d6 dmg for a 0th level spell is nothing to laugh it. It also ignores spell resistance, which is helpful against many kinds of creatures. And since it is a (Su) ability, it does not provoke attacks of opportunity to use it.

Remove ads