• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Going Archmage

There are feats that meta-magic SLAs. there are exactly zero feats that enhance SU abilities, which Arcane Fire is, at least, no feats that affect them that I am aware of, all the meta-magic ability feats are for SLA's only.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
What happens when a Quickened Fireball is chosen as an SLA? Since an SLA is normally a standard action, would this allow casting it as a free action?

And I don't have my books with me, but does Quickening a spell mean there are V,S, or M components?

Andargor

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Another thing, there's the Supernatural Transformation feat in Savage Species. So, the SLA can be turned into a Su ability.

Say, Power Word, Kill 2/day as a Su ability. No save, no SR. Interesting alternative to Arcane Fire.

Andargor

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Will said:
The ability to swap slots to gain X spell N/day is a spell-like ability, not a supernatural ability.

I'm talking about a feat that changes the SLA to Su:

Savage Species said:
Supernatural Transformation [General]
Benefits: One of your innate spell-like abilities becomes a supernatural ability.

Andargor

Will

First Post
Oooh. Woops, sorry. ;) I don't have the book that's in... and probably wouldn't allow it in my games. But good point.

Sir Whiskers

First Post
andargor said:
What happens when a Quickened Fireball is chosen as an SLA? Since an SLA is normally a standard action, would this allow casting it as a free action?

And I don't have my books with me, but does Quickening a spell mean there are V,S, or M components?

Andargor

Per the MM, SLA's have no V, S, M components. For the archmage SLA power, if it's an expensive component, it's replaced by an XP cost of 10 x component cost (ouch!). SLA's still prompt an AOO.

Again, per the MM, SLA's are a standard action, unless specified otherwise. I would rule that a Quickened ability is possible, since the wording above implies that not all SLA's use a standard action. That one sounds like a GM call, but at such a high-level, why not allow it? It won't be any more problematic than a maximized chain lightning spell (one of my favorites, btw).

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Sir Whiskers said:
Per the MM, SLA's have no V, S, M components. For the archmage SLA power, if it's an expensive component, it's replaced by an XP cost of 10 x component cost (ouch!). SLA's still prompt an AOO.

Which begs the question, what's an "expensive" component? Anything with a price attached (e.g. 1gp)? 10gp? 100gp? 1000gp?

Andargor

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Will said:
Oooh. Woops, sorry. ;) I don't have the book that's in... and probably wouldn't allow it in my games. But good point.

Actually, there's a case for disallowing it, since it says "innate" SLAs. One could argue that the Archmage ability (or any other feat giving SLAs) is not "innate".

Andargor

Sir Whiskers

First Post
andargor said:
Which begs the question, what's an "expensive" component? Anything with a price attached (e.g. 1gp)? 10gp? 100gp? 1000gp?

Andargor

One interpretation is any component listed with a specific cost. Another is anything not covered by the feat Eschew Materials. I couldn't find any specific rule for this, so you may have to just wing it.

Remove ads