Going Nuclear:1D&D

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
where I worry about mutants and masterminds... I have to disagree.

TORG (orginal) and Rifts both had rolling a d20, adding modifiers, and comparing to a target number in 2e era (late 80s early 90s)
I mean, obviously not every single system that involves that is OGL, but a significant amount are, which is why I said “pretty much any” rather than “literally any.”

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I will wait until the 13th to decide when WotC releases to the public. IF it is close to what has been reported/leaked, I will not spend another dime on WotC/Hasbro products, including the movie. I will finish my DM duties to a couple on-going public campaigns at the local library and will pack up my D&D stuff for good. This leaked OGL 1.1 is cartoonishly evil and will represent a huge step backwards for the promotion of the game. Again, I will wait to make my decision when I see the released OGL.

with regards to the OP, I think it is easy for folks who are not really fans of D&D 5e to call for boycotts. I'm not that fussed about what I've learned, thus far. For one thing, I don't really know anything yet. For another, I don't think it's terrible for Hasbro to ask for royalties on people making a lot of money off their IP. That's pretty normal behaviour, and I don't boycott all the other media companies who ask for royalties to use their IP (basically, all of them). It comes down to how it is implemented and whether I think Hasbro/WotC is being egregious. I have a lot of goodwill towards them.

The implication of the leak is that paizo would have to either stop publishing new pathfinder material (because it uses OGL 1.0) or switch to OGL 1.1 and start paying wotc royalties and give wotc control over paizo IP. You’re ok with that? It’s the idea that wotc could “revoke” a license thats been used for 22 years, and used in good faith, that has people upset.

What you do at your own table at home isn't advertising, especially if you are playing a legacy edition that they aren't selling things for anyway.
yes and no.

You go to a friends house with 4 other friends, don't tell anyone what you are doing, and leave and never speak of it until next game is the CLOSEST you get to not keeping it in the public eye (but players come and go players become DMs someday and bring in new players)

MORE likely you sit down with 4-6 friends joke around talk about gaming and play... when you are there most likely those closest to you know it's D&D night (again unless you keep it secret, or lie) and the idea of "Oh I know someone that plays D&D" spreads slowly.
Now if 1 group does this will it mean anything... I doubt it, we are at butterfly wings here... but it 3% of the playerbase CHANGES to other things if instead of D&D night they call it TORG night, or Vampire night, or what ever... and when people say "Like D&D?" (and they will) correct them "Only the same way a poker night and a monopoly night are the same cause the are both games, this is ______" that is a VERY minor hit to Wotc.

Now if you splinter that 3% over 11 game systems no 1 of them is getting a big boost, but all 11 get a minor boost and WotC/D&D take a minor hit.

This isn't the only way. It's not what I am going to do. It is however the only way to not enhance the IP...

Someone said they run a D&D gaming club at school. Changing to Level Up or Pathfinder might feel good, but they are still variants of D&D. Changing to Rifts gaming club is a much bigger blow then changing to (insert 3rd party variant that is still D&D) or (insert previous edition).

IT's like "Sticking it to marvel" by not reading any more spiderman or avengers comics... and watching spiderman and the avengers on Disney plus, or going to see the new Deadpool and Wolverine movie. You moved your money from 1 part of Disney to another... and if you still walk around with your iron man and or spider man shirt on, you keep the IP in everyone's mind and enhance the brand some small bit.

We know what Hasbro wants... they actually told us. The IP for D&D. If the movie and a new cartoon and some comics and those toys all sell well they don't care that we are playing pathfinder... just that we still call ourselves D&D players and make D&D as a brand, as an IP stronger.

Remove ads