Going Nuclear:1D&D

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
At this point in time I just want Foundry/Forge, Chaosium and Pinnacle to survive the upcoming chaos in good shape so my digital table can keep on gaming in our favorite systems.

What I'm more worried about is a dysfunctional economy that keep repeating destructive cycles. Passionate small company create something great. Gets bought up by a larger company that still make a descent product and communicate with consumer base. Gets devoured by Megacorp shark that naughty word on consumers to maximize profit for a short period, while the product get turned to fecal matter and flushed down the toilet. Rince and repeat. It's both sad and depressing.

Jadeite

Open Gaming Enthusiast
Because I want to?

Do you only ever listen to your favorite song? Do you only ever eat your favorite food? What kind of question is that? What are you trying to prove?

B/X is my second favorite, BTW. That doesn't stop me from playing 5e too.
I certainly won't listen to a certain song or eat certain food, just because it's the newest version (in fairness, I usually avoid food that's too old, but that says more about the viability of food analogies than my personal taste).
If I lose interest in a certain game, I usually switch too something more different than just another edition. And there are tons of games I have yet too play (even though I own quite a few books for some of them).

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Yes, but I don't see anything negative about One D&D. I don't know how this conversation got to this point.
One D&D is, in part, being updated in order to make people adopt the new license.

Just like how 4e happened, in part, in order to make creators switch to the GSL. And in so doing, 3PP for 4e became almost nonexistent, with Green Ronin and ENWorld being the only two publishers of 4e 3PP I've ever heard of.

One D&D is, in part, being updated in order to make people adopt the new license.

Just like how 4e happened, in part, in order to make creators switch to the GSL. And in so doing, 3PP for 4e became almost nonexistent, with Green Ronin and ENWorld being the only two publishers of 4e 3PP I've ever heard of.
Sure, I won't pretend to know what their reason for releasing One D&D is. I don't really care either.
3pp content don't affect my game in any way and I just wanted to point out that this might be the case for a lot of people out there.

Jadeite

Open Gaming Enthusiast
3pp content don't affect my game in any way
But it does. Fourth edition would not have been made the way it was without 3rd party products like Iron Heroes. And 5e's Spellcasting is rather similar to that of Arcana Unearthed/Evolved. Just because you ignore third party material doesn't mean that it won't merge with the main branch to be enjoyed (or disliked) by you.

Given that D&D is now a lifestyle brand, I don't think a boycott will really hurt them - as long as you remain engaged with D&D in any form, you're helping them.

So you'd need to stop playing any edition (switch to another game entirely, and obnoxiously correct anyone who refers to it as 'D&D'). And only ever speak about D&D in a negative light.

The one thing most likely to hurt them is to consistently refer to the upcoming movie as a "crappy remake" - as far as possible, tie it to the cinematic abomination of the 2000's. (It helps that the director of that one is credited as a producer here.)

The problem being, of course, that to be successful you would need to damage the brand, and that may not be desirable.

One last thing: I do think any talk of "going nuclear" is still premature. It's just about possible, although unfortunately I think unlikely, that WotC will reverse course on this. So I would be inclined to wait until Friday before doing anything drastic.
yeah that is about how you hurt them... if that is what you want.

This isn't a major thing you HAVE to do. I am not sure that enough will even think of it to make it matter, HOWEVER I do feel that we should keep everyone who WANTS to send a message to know this.

@Nefermandias :
If 4e is your favorite edtion by a huge margin, why would you play 1D&D instead of it?
I'm not him but I have told this before and will again... I am not surrounded by others wwho love 4e. I have friends that want to play 3e or 2e or PF or other games... 5e is none of our 1st choices but it is the edition we can all 'put up with' someone else called it the 'compromise edition'

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I'm not him but I have told this before and will again... I am not surrounded by others wwho love 4e. I have friends that want to play 3e or 2e or PF or other games... 5e is none of our 1st choices but it is the edition we can all 'put up with' someone else called it the 'compromise edition'
You know, there's at least a dozen heavy posters here who love 4e. You folks ever think of getting an online game together?

FormerLurker

Adventurer
There's some problems with this idea.

First, boycotting D&D also means not playing, as that's an advertisement for their game. It's not enough if you're still playing with content you own, as you're still recruiting people to play that game and telling people you play D&D. You need to find another game and hype that.

Second... D&D pretty much IS the tabletop industry. According to ICv2 in 2014, RPGs were a $15 million dollar industry. They were up to $35 million by 2015 and $45 million in 2016. By 2021 they were $105 million! Some of that was Kickstarter but a lot was D&D. Something like 70-80% of the money in RPG sales likely comes from D&D, and removing that by "burning 1D&D down to the ground" will rapidly contract the hobby. Game stores will take a massive hit. No D&D pretty much reduces the entire industry to irrelevancy. Without the biggest name in gaming bringing in new players, this will become a greying hobby. Dying.

1) The 4e Discord is active and usually has around a half-dozen LFG posts on the go at any given time. So finding people to play 4e, if you're willing to play online, is eminently doable.

2) Apropos of the main thread topic, io9 received a leaked copy of the entire new "OGL" and Linda Codega wrote about it at Gizmodo. We also have Tweets from Kickstarter and more recently Griffon's Saddlebag regarding the veracity of the new "OGL". (The OGL -- Just What's Going On?)

WotC has locked up most official talk with NDAs so that's as good as it gets.

If a complete OGL leaked to a journalist isn't "good enough" (keeping in mind Codega has a source to protect), I'm not sure what to say.

Remove ads