D&D 5E Goliath - Stone's Endurance alternative

JEB

Legend
So my brother and I were talking, and it seems to us that the goliath's "1d12 + Con bonus in damage reduction as reaction" doesn't scale very well past low levels. (And while effective, it certainly doesn't seem strong enough for their best trait.) This made us look at the dragonborn... and realize that the progression there seems to work better.

Hence this simple replacement idea - replace the 1d12 with:
-2d6 + Con bonus at level 1
- 3d6 + Con bonus at level 6
- 4d6 + Con bonus at level 11
- 5d6 + Con bonus at level 16

Thoughts?

Paraxis

Explorer
How about as a reaction you gain resistance to all damage until the start or your next turn. Scales perfectly with damage, as it is always 50% less.

Unwise

Adventurer
Both suggestions look reasonable to me. We just have to careful about what the yardstick for effectiveness is. The ability is a little too effective at low level, I suspect it will be OK during mid levels.

Assuming even one short rest a day.

At level one a fighter with 14 con has 12HP, this ability gives an extra 16 (130% of base HP)
At level five a fighter with 14 con has 44HP, this ability gives an extra 16. (bit more than a third)
At level ten a fighter with 14 con has 84HP, this ability gives an extra 16. (bit less than 20% more)

For a mage the numbers would look a lot better as their comparative HP totals are so low and con is often their second stat.

To me it looks overpowered at low level (not that I care) very good at mid level and sliding towards just OK at level 10. To me it is a bridge I will cross when I come to it. I don't plan on running games past level 10 for a long time yet. I think it would be incorrect to try and keep it being as good at high level as it is initially. I think it is too good initially.

Remove ads