D&D 5E Goliaths WebDM Misses the Mark, but Sparks My Curiosity

Chaosmancer

Legend
Lore isn't RAW. Random nonsense from the FR wiki or two editions ago is even more worthless. If you can't understand the "pushback" well dude that's on you. What next, I quote 1E stuff about elves or 4E stuff about cosmology and claim it's "Rules as Written" lol?

First of all, being rude does not make me more likely to listen to you. So stop it, it just makes you look bad.

Next, FR wiki is just generally more full than the Wikipedia entry, which is usually just when they were first published and what minis were made. Which is not useful.

Third, please read the words I wrote such as the fact I said the main thrust "could stay intact" as in, this isn't definitive proof, but since it is circumstantially important, and not overwritten by new lore, it could be still considered applicable. I did not claim it was definitely true because of what I found, only that it is more likely to be true, since it was true in at least one place in at least one edition. After all, they didn't cite which of the books used that lore. IT was in the main bit.

Fourth, I just used RAW to mean "what was written officially in the books" if you want LAW or PELAW or some other acronym to be more specific, then fine, but you understood what I meant, so the words got across their intended meaning just fine.

Finally, I'm not sure an official source (since the text had to have come from a rulebook before being copy pasted in the wiki, as it always is) detailing Goliath culture could be considered "random nonsense" in a discussion about Goliath Culture. After all, all of the things from the DnD Beyond website, copy and pasted from the Fifth Edition book wasn't "random nonsense". And, since it is generally assumed that things do not change unless stated to change, older edition materiel might still be considered "true" for certain DMs, especially since FR is supposed to be a continuous timeline(for better and worse).

SuperSam888

Explorer
I'm just gonna remind everyone that the video that spawned this "conversation" was trying to provide more ways to make Goliaths more interesting, especially in terms of lore, not to prove to everyone that they aren't interesting. This thread has devolved to a combination of arguments of Goliaths rule vs Goliaths suck and arguments about if more or less lore is a good thing and and random arguments about the mechanics of the race.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I'm just gonna remind everyone that the video that spawned this "conversation" was trying to provide more ways to make Goliaths more interesting, especially in terms of lore, not to prove to everyone that they aren't interesting. This thread has devolved to a combination of arguments of Goliaths rule vs Goliaths suck and arguments about if more or less lore is a good thing and and random arguments about the mechanics of the race.
Well, the thread had died off 2 weeks ago, so your admonition is a bit untimely.

I wish I could take credit for it, but somebody on sly flourishes discord channel brought up the idea that the goliath is the children of the Greyhawk god Kord.

It does explain a lot of their mentality and gives a divine jumping-off point.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
To add an interesting twist, you could a have a village lower in the mountains, populated only by ''broken'' Goliaths that would be unable to follow the clan and live the hard way. Goliath prisoners would be condemned stay at the village to care for the ''broken ones'' as punishment. The inhabitant could be hated and respected at the same time, being ''too weak'' to follow the clan, but having probably more experience/wisdom by having outlived the more reckless Goliaths.

I think this opens up a ton of good role play options. And it could go either way.

a character might become more tolerant and kind as aresult...or embittered. A very not nice Goliath full of resentment is interesting too.

Remove ads