• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Good news about DungeonScape

Paraxis

Explorer
Bold Italic
Sep 3, 2014Signed up early on for the beta (web) and hoping it starts soon :) Question: when you open up the beta for web clients, will you be trialing the payment system as part of it, or does that come later?

DungeonScape
Sep 3, 2014
It's our intention to have functioning payment options with the beta that will of course transfer over when the full version is released. Does that answer your question?

That is disappointing, I was hopeful that the beta would be a way to get a free preview of the product before deciding to purchase it. I will still probably pay and get it now, just rather know what I am paying for before forking over the cash.

BoldItalic

First Post
That is disappointing, I was hopeful that the beta would be a way to get a free preview of the product before deciding to purchase it. I will still probably pay and get it now, just rather know what I am paying for before forking over the cash.

That's partly why I asked the question. If the purpose of the beta is for us to help soak-test their software for them on a variety of web clients and used in a variety of ways, it's a bit cheeky expecting us to pay them for the privilege. Still, their payment system does need live-testing too. I might let other people use their own money for that, though :)

I'll be interested to see if it is purely US$ based, or if can I pay in UK £ ? For me, regardless of exchange rates, paying in US$ incurs a flat bank fee of £5 per transaction which could swing the balance between using DS or not. Depends on their pricing arrangements.

We should know more next week.

Eejit

First Post
Bold Italic
Sep 3, 2014Signed up early on for the beta (web) and hoping it starts soon :) Question: when you open up the beta for web clients, will you be trialing the payment system as part of it, or does that come later?

DungeonScape
Sep 3, 2014
It's our intention to have functioning payment options with the beta that will of course transfer over when the full version is released. Does that answer your question?

I'd guess the Basic Rules will be available from the start..?

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
It's entirely possible that what he meant was simply that the payment system will be in place if people wish to test it, not that you will have to pay to participate in the full content of the beta.

If it requires you to pay for the beta in order to test it in its fullest capacity, then quite frankly, they can go jump off a very high cliff without a parachute.

keterys

First Post
If it requires you to pay for the beta in order to test it in its fullest capacity, then quite frankly, they can go jump off a very high cliff without a parachute.
If it's required to pay to unlock book content live, then it's likely you need to pay to unlock book content in beta. It's the same content regardless (which isn't freely available except the Basic rules, which I hope are free), and it's probably even a licensing requirement to require payment to access the data.

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
If it's required to pay to unlock book content live, then it's likely you need to pay to unlock book content in beta. It's the same content regardless (which isn't freely available except the Basic rules, which I hope are free), and it's probably even a licensing requirement to require payment to access the data.
They want us to test their software for them and help them iron out the bugs then they shouldn't expect us to pay for it. I'm not expecting to get free content once the beta is over but while it's being run, I also don't expect to pay for anything. I don't see why they couldn't simply make beta accounts and live accounts and close off access to beta accounts once the beta is over.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They want us to test their software for them and help them iron out the bugs then they shouldn't expect us to pay for it. I'm not expecting to get free content once the beta is over but while it's being run, I also don't expect to pay for anything. I don't see why they couldn't simply make beta accounts and live accounts and close off access to beta accounts once the beta is over.

If there is downloadable content within the application, this would be closing the barn door after the horses have escaped.

Plus, if we start running our campaigns in the beta, folks would be very upset if they can't then get at their own information - they'd need to transition your account or its data in some way, which starts getting hairy.

fjw70

Adventurer
I have tweeted withe the DS people this morning and there will be nothing to purchase in the DS beta (at least initially).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads