D&D General Good source for various humanoid minis?

I've got a bunch of WizKids minis from the various sets and like them. My only issue is the randomness. Is there a source for decent quality pre-painted plastic minis where I get a bit more choice? I'd like to collect an assortment of random humanoids since those get used a lot more than beholders, mummies, etc.

Sorry, this isn't really a D&D question as much as it's a gaming question, but I couldn't find a general gaming section.

Quickleaf

Legend
Assuming you want miniatures specifically, and not something like the cardboard pawns from the Pathfinder Bestiary Box, your most economical bet is pillaging from boardgames (typically unpainted) and doing a quick batch paint job or ink stain on them. Examples included Monolith's Conan, Massive Darkness, Descent Journeys into Darkness, Zombicide, etc.

If that still doesn't meet your needs, you're pretty much looking at picking up after-market prepainted minis on sites like Miniature Market - Board Games, Magic The Gathering, Table Top Games, Dungeons & Dragons, Role Playing Games | Miniature Market , https://www.auggiesgamestore.com/ , Troll And Toad | Online store for Magic: the Gathering, YuGiOh, Pokemon, Cards, Singles, Miniatures & More , or Ebay.

Dausuul

Legend
This is my preferred solution. You always get the minis you're looking for, you pay less overall, and you don't end up with a lot of worthless extra plastic. It helps that Wizards and WizKids have cranked out a huge number of prepainted minis over the years, many of them covering the same ground, so there are several options for any given monster--you can pick the cheapest, or the one that looks best, or whatever balance you care to strike between the two.

Booster packs are for the thrill of gambling, or for people willing to spend a lot of time trading. If you just want Mini X, you are far better served to go on the secondary market and buy Mini X.

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
There are lots of unpainted ones.

Wizkids makes 'premium" minis designed for PCs that are individually sold.

Wizkids also has a "4D" line and some of them contain villagers.

If you live near Toronto I'll trade with you.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I’m a fan of the pathfinder standees. It let’s you have a large number of figures that don’t use up a ton of space. I store them in a binder in extra deep plastic sleeves. Easy to flip through and find the perfect one.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I have a large collection of D&D minis. I have a “playable” collection meaning I have multiples of various goblins, kobolds, orcs, etc.

I buy some random D&D minis and trade the expensive ones to miniatures market to get skeletons, orcs, etc in desired numbers.

I have also purchased themed packs; just bought an 8 pack of kobolds for my friends Christmas gift but I digress.

the most direct way to go is buy after market and buy what you want. A lot of common monsters are 2-4 dollars so a group of six is not out of reach. And when you see the cost of random boosters, you will see you are paying roughly the same per mini but they are the minis of choice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases