Goodman Games Kickstarts Two New 5E Adventures

Goodman Games is Kickstarting "New adventures for the 5th edition of the world’s first fantasy RPG". The Kickstarter is for two adventures The Pillars of Pelagia (by Chris Doyle) and War-lock (by Michael Curtis) under its Fifth Edition Fantasy banner, of which two adventures have already been released.

Goodman Games is Kickstarting "New adventures for the 5th edition of the world’s first fantasy RPG". The Kickstarter is for two adventures The Pillars of Pelagia (by Chris Doyle) and War-lock (by Michael Curtis) under its Fifth Edition Fantasy banner, of which two adventures have already been released.

photo-original.jpg

As a side-note, although Goodman Games isn't quite, as it says, "the only third party publisher to continuously support Dungeons & Dragons in every edition since 3E" , it's certainly one of the only ones. I have Goodman adventures from 3.x, 4E, and 5E.

You're looking at $20 for two softcover adventures (plus shipping), which seems a good deal to me.

Find the Kickstarter right here (or click on one of the pretty pictures).

Each adventure is between 16-42 pages, and is a standalone story designed to fit into any existing campaign or setting. Goodman Games has a repuation these days for old-school roleplaying (especially with its Dungeon Crawl Classics line), and these products often have an old-school aesthetic which can be very appealing.

Stretch goals for this particular campaign include expansions for both adventures, and a third adventure called The Dragon's Maw for Free RPG Day.

map.jpg

Chris Stenger

First Post
It's more complicated than that. Yes, Goodman can do what they're doing, but no it's not as easy as you're making it out to be. There is a lot of effort they put into careful compliance with the law - the legal services they employ do not amount to "It's a snap!".

Oh absolutely oversimplification. And I'll be happy to discuss and read about it on the Mundane Legal Matters Not Pertaining To The Actual Gameplay Or Quality Of An RPG Module forum. Here though, I say we talk about RPGs.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Oh absolutely oversimplification. And I'll be happy to discuss and read about it on the Mundane Legal Matters Not Pertaining To The Actual Gameplay Or Quality Of An RPG Module forum. Here though, I say we talk about RPGs.

You do realize I didn't raise the issue, and was just responding to your post which was about legal matters and not RPGs, right?

Remathilis

Legend
Frog God Games is, I believe, in the process of deciding whether or not to make more 5e compatible products. The response to their 5E kickstarters seemed to be middle of the road... Enough to do more, but not enough to dive in with abandon.

Since Goodman is kickstarting these, I'm sure they indeed want to know if the customers are there or not.
Maybe they should limit their print schedule and instead focus on growing their brands?

Agamon

Adventurer
I wonder how hard it is to convert an adventure from PF to 5e for the people who wrote it. It guess it is just the stats that need to be converted.

The Breaking of Forstor Nagar by Rite Publishing is now available for 5e, PF, and 13th Age. Doesn't really say how hard it was, but it does kinda look like the author got some help from a 5e "rules maven."

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
Goodman's been supporting 5e since day 1. Literally, since the first day they could. I am not sure how much more "in their wheelhouse to support at first" they could have been than literally "It's release? OK, then here is our first adventure for it!" This thread is about their 3rd, 4th, and 5th adventures for it, not their 1st. Indeed, they were announced months ago.
Indeed. The first two adventures were available at Goodman's booth at GenCon last summer - essentially JUST as the PHB was being released to the public. That's when I got my copies.

Remove ads

Remove ads