D&D 5E Goodman Games What's coming down the Pike for 5e.

darjr

I crit!
Honest confusion. I've run and played 5E monthly since the playtest and we've had two deaths, both because the player was tired of the character. Both times the player had to tell the other players to not revive the character. There's so much healing that the player had to metagame to stop healing from easily saving the character. At no point was there any real threat or challenge in any session. Running bog standard 5E with bog standard 5E modules...utter cakewalk. So when you say you're running 5E without house rules and that it's deadly and challenging...I'm honestly confused. The only way you could make bog-standard 5E deadly and challenging is to run bigger fights than suggested, restrict resting, and a few other things. But mostly you're running into house rules.

But, either way, this isn't the thread for that. I'll start one and I'd honestly like to know how you and your group plays.
OK, apologies.

I look forward to the thread.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
You know, I think you might be right. It's been a minute since I played/ran DCC and we ignore all that anyway, but RAW I think you're right there.
It's been a minute for me, too. So I looked it up. Off the top of my head I knew that didn't sound right, but I didn't have the specifics that handy in my head.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Cool. So one early adventures with one enemy.

Well, I think the OG adventure was 11, but I upscaled it for a party of 14. Didn't really homebrew new monsters or abilities, just swapped monsters for a higher CR creature of the same type.

I won't say "D&D 5E is the best dungeon crawl game system" (it's not and I won't defend it as such), but you absolutely can run dungeon crawls in 5E and have fun with it.

If you believe the biggest problem with 5E is it's too easy... my answer is always going to be "make everything harder then." It worked for me!

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I just kind of apply the same logic to DCC style 5E games that I apply to DCC itself.

I found the key is to just kinda not care.

By way of example:

Player: Can I be a goblin?

Me: Sure, how do you want that to work?

Player: Uhm, like a halfling but instead of throwing luck around I vomit dead fish?

Me: Perfect, in fact, everyone is a goblin now. This is an entirely goblin based game now.

If you couldn't tell being good and sauced also doesn't hurt.

I feel the same way. Their 5e adventures are perfectly serviceable, and fill a niche for smaller modules, but compared to Goodman Games' DCC RPG adventures, they lack that wild and gonzo spark. My hope is that Dungeon Denizens is more like the DCC line than FEF. It sounds like it will be, if they're talking about including the likes of Bobugbubilz and his servants.

All that being said, converting DCC RPG adventures to 5e isn't that much work. I ran Emirikol Was Framed in 5e and that we got about three adventures out of that slim module.

I like the OAR books and Dungeon Denizens looks promising.

Though, as a DCC RPG guy, their other 5E output seems, idk, kinda milquetoast?

I was hoping for some gonzo DCC style stuff, just ported to 5e but instead it's just generic adventure module #4587.

This is the one part of the Goodman Games product line, that isn't just an automatic buy for me, and that's a shame.

LOL. Ten years of running 5E tells me different. Without house rules or wildly overstacking combat, x2 deadly as the baseline at least, you're simply not going to challenge a 5E party.
Well I’ve played 5e since about 3 months after it was released and I can attest it can be. We’ve had deaths each tier (if that is your measure). Now, I know we have played RAW, but I am not the DM so I can’t attest to the “challenge” of the encounters. I can just say we have died some glorious and horrible deaths.

Remove ads