D&D 5E Goodman Games What's coming down the Pike for 5e.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Well, that's the disjunction with the game: 5E lives in a sort of action movie space, and that's where the challenge lies. Run it like John Wick or Taken, and it gets more deadly.
Other games do this infinitely better. I know 5E is a superhero fantasy game, but I will continue resisting that. Sorry, just not my jam.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Other games do this infinitely better. I know 5E is a superhero fantasy game, but I will continue resisting that. Sorry, just not my jam.
OK: just pointing out that that "fewer, bigger fights" is putting the transmission of the game into low gear. To provide challenge and kill PCs, more fights will do the trick. The DMG does lay this out.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
OK: just pointing out that that "fewer, bigger fights" is putting the transmission of the game into low gear. To provide challenge and kill PCs, more fights will do the trick. The DMG does lay this out.
I use the adventuring day as a rough guide. 6-8 medium to hard fights was too little, so I do at least 6-8 deadly fights worth of monsters when they make sense. Like in a dungeoncrawl. Or like this setup that I’m handing my players. It’s three connected deadly fights with no time to rest between them. Basically taking out the entire crew of a ship. They can pause between the fights, but there’s no time to rest. It’s not meant to kill them, just push them. If they think even a little they can stack the odds in their favor and make it easier.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

This isn't really my style... I absolutely run fewer bigger fights. But those fights have to punch way harder than the DMG's recommended CRs, as the PCs will have most of their tools.

This did not apply of course in my dungeon (Doomvault) game. That was lots of small fights, which... most dungeon games are.

I use the adventuring day as a rough guide. 6-8 medium to hard fights was too little, so I do at least 6-8 deadly fights worth of monsters when they make sense. Like in a dungeoncrawl. Or like this setup that I’m handing my players. It’s three connected deadly fights with no time to rest between them. Basically taking out the entire crew of a ship. They can pause between the fights, but there’s no time to rest. It’s not meant to kill them, just push them. If they think even a little they can stack the odds in their favor and make it easier.

Seems about right to me.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, there you go.

If you really want to push them, upping the number of encounters significantly more than the difficulty of the encounters works pretty well.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This isn't really my style... I absolutely run fewer bigger fights. But those fights have to punch way harder than the DMG's recommended CRs, as the PCs will have most of their tools.
I do want to say, I wasn't at all suggesting a "One True Way" to run the game, but merely suggesting what would make the game deadly and dangerous without any hinebrew rules.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Well, there you go.

If you really want to push them, upping the number of encounters significantly more than the difficulty of the encounters works pretty well.
Sure. My first goal is for the world to make some kind of logical sense. There's only a very few instances when 6-8 combats in a day make any kind of sense at all. To compensate for my need for internal logic, I stack encounters, combine encounters, restrict rests, etc along with house rules. To me, it's a living world first, a game set in that world second.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
So I'm confused, do they have another TSR OAR on the way now...?
Nothing further was announced, but they mentioned other projects that they are working on. One might very well be the next OAR installment. In any event, such an annoucement would probably come after the end of the KS campaign for Dark Tower, so as not to steal its thunder.

Remove ads