Got Fiend Factory?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Garnfellow said:
Thanks. I thought I had posted a link once upon a time, but it seems to have disappeared. Maybe that was during the Great Lost EnWorld period.

Do you mind if I link it in the Monster Indices thread stickied at the top?

MissHappen

First Post
Garnfellow, thank you. This is great.

I also agree with you about the early White Dwarf material. I LIKE the particularly weird stuff. I felt like they were thinking in new directions, and I find that sort of thing very inspiring. The 'bottom of the barrel' stuff can still be something to generate a thought you hadn't considered before, after all.
Eventually, I'd like a complete run of the Fiend Factory articles, but they are apparently none too easy to get ahold of. I don't imagine the print runs were very large, and frankly, I bet a lot of them ended up in someone's garbage (oh, the horror).

-MsM

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
cool, scott. :) the guy who maintains that second website is actually Garnfellow, who posted above.

Garnfellow

Explorer
Shade said:
I think I might have a use for the gurgotch. Keep up the good work. :cool:

Thanks! Of course, I'm deeply indebted to all the Creature Catalog patrons who have helped out with ideas and suggestions.

If you do use the gurgotch, please let me know how it works out -- I haven't playtested these conversions very thoroughly, so any "real-world" data is much appreciated.

One thing that really struck me while working on the gurgotch: there's a certain faction of d20 haters who constantly bellyache about how complicated this danged newfangled system is compared to the simplicity of 1st (or any other non-3.x) edition. But because so many 3e abilities are now templated (to use a Wizards R&D term), many of my converted monster entries end up being much simpler than the originals. All I have to do is write "trample" or "exhausted" and I'm done -- the original Gurgotch entry had to go on for paragraphs explaining how these special abilities worked.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Will do.

Yeah, there's a certain elegance to 3E monster design. So much of 1E and 2E monster descriptions was wasted space reprinting similar abilities with maybe a slight difference. I hope that the eventual 4E will simplify things further. Sneak attack, evasion, etc. don't need to be reprinted in every creature's entry. One of the few things I like about the MMIV is the simplification of the "weapons are treated as..." sentences to simply aligned strike (chaotic, evil) and so forth.

Remove ads