• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Got Fiend Factory?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Garnfellow said:
Thanks. I thought I had posted a link once upon a time, but it seems to have disappeared. Maybe that was during the Great Lost EnWorld period.

Do you mind if I link it in the Monster Indices thread stickied at the top?

MissHappen

First Post
Garnfellow, thank you. This is great.

I also agree with you about the early White Dwarf material. I LIKE the particularly weird stuff. I felt like they were thinking in new directions, and I find that sort of thing very inspiring. The 'bottom of the barrel' stuff can still be something to generate a thought you hadn't considered before, after all.
Eventually, I'd like a complete run of the Fiend Factory articles, but they are apparently none too easy to get ahold of. I don't imagine the print runs were very large, and frankly, I bet a lot of them ended up in someone's garbage (oh, the horror).

-MsM

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
cool, scott. :) the guy who maintains that second website is actually Garnfellow, who posted above.

Garnfellow

Explorer
Shade said:
I think I might have a use for the gurgotch. Keep up the good work. :cool:

Thanks! Of course, I'm deeply indebted to all the Creature Catalog patrons who have helped out with ideas and suggestions.

If you do use the gurgotch, please let me know how it works out -- I haven't playtested these conversions very thoroughly, so any "real-world" data is much appreciated.

One thing that really struck me while working on the gurgotch: there's a certain faction of d20 haters who constantly bellyache about how complicated this danged newfangled system is compared to the simplicity of 1st (or any other non-3.x) edition. But because so many 3e abilities are now templated (to use a Wizards R&D term), many of my converted monster entries end up being much simpler than the originals. All I have to do is write "trample" or "exhausted" and I'm done -- the original Gurgotch entry had to go on for paragraphs explaining how these special abilities worked.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Will do.

Yeah, there's a certain elegance to 3E monster design. So much of 1E and 2E monster descriptions was wasted space reprinting similar abilities with maybe a slight difference. I hope that the eventual 4E will simplify things further. Sneak attack, evasion, etc. don't need to be reprinted in every creature's entry. One of the few things I like about the MMIV is the simplification of the "weapons are treated as..." sentences to simply aligned strike (chaotic, evil) and so forth.

Remove ads