D&D 5E Grab a creature and throw it?

hastur_nz

First Post
I'm interested in people's thoughts on what limit(s) are reasonable, in terms of a creature grabbing another creature, then throwing it.

The few rules I know of here, are not clear and/or sensible, in my opinion, including a specific monster ability.

For example, can a Huge creature pick up a Medium one, and how to rule that? Can it throw it, e.g. as an improvised weapon (unless it's proficient in something like that)? What damage would the creature inflict on something it hit, and what damage might the creature that was thrown take on impact?

Personally, I'm leaning towards allowing a creature to pick up something at least two size categories smaller, as per a Grapple. Throwing the smaller creature would be like throwing a rock, and would inflict the same damage on the creature thrown, as it would on the target (basic physics). Possibly, one could give the thrown creature an opposed grapple roll to cling on rather than be thrown.

Satyrn

First Post
That's all cool, although for damage, I'd make it significant enough to warrant doing. I make it 1d6 times Strength Modifier.

And I give the thrown fellow a chance to do something in the air. Mostly it would be an acrobatics check or save for half damage. The DC would be equal to whatever the Monster's other stuff would have; or if it's a PC doing the throwing the DC would be 8 + Prof + Str, or make it opposed by the PC's Str check if you want the player to roll for his "throw attack."

S'mon

Legend
By the default rules, thrown damage for a huge creature, improvised object would be 3d4+STR mod. Seems reasonable to me. Skilled throwers like giants might up that to say 3d6 but I would keep it below thrown-rock damage.

dave2008

Legend
I'm interested in people's thoughts on what limit(s) are reasonable, in terms of a creature grabbing another creature, then throwing it.

The few rules I know of here, are not clear and/or sensible, in my opinion, including a specific monster ability.

For example, can a Huge creature pick up a Medium one, and how to rule that? Can it throw it, e.g. as an improvised weapon (unless it's proficient in something like that)? What damage would the creature inflict on something it hit, and what damage might the creature that was thrown take on impact?

Personally, I'm leaning towards allowing a creature to pick up something at least two size categories smaller, as per a Grapple. Throwing the smaller creature would be like throwing a rock, and would inflict the same damage on the creature thrown, as it would on the target (basic physics). Possibly, one could give the thrown creature an opposed grapple roll to cling on rather than be thrown.

Most creatures in the MM use the falling rules for damage when they throw a creature (see the Kraken), 1d6 per 10 feet thrown. The same damage to a target the creature is thrown at (with a Dex sav).

However, there is a creature in VoGtM (if I remember correctly) which does 1d8 per 10 feet.

If it was an improvised attack I think your idea of a grapple to cling on makes sense. It would be at disadvantage because of the size difference and that makes sense as well.

Oofta

Legend
In addition to what others have said - relatively low damage, possible grapple check - I do damage to both the "missile" and the target, along with dexterity saves or fall prone for the target, the missile is always prone to start.

aco175

Legend
Last edition there was a module where a troll threw a character into another character to damage both of them. I'm not sure if a regular attack is enough or if an opposed check is needed. Say a giant wants to grab a PC and throw him into another PC. Make an attack role to grapple him and just throw him. Maybe make another attack to hit another PC. Damage should be on par with the monster's regular attacks or a bit more to make it a cool move if you want to have another roll involved.

I would want to get away from making too many rolls and opposed checks just to do this. If it can be done with one roll- great.

aco175

Legend
Last edition there was a module where a troll threw a character into another character to damage both of them. I'm not sure if a regular attack is enough or if an opposed check is needed. Say a giant wants to grab a PC and throw him into another PC. Make an attack role to grapple him and just throw him. Maybe make another attack to hit another PC. Damage should be on par with the monster's regular attacks or a bit more to make it a cool move if you want to have another roll involved.

I would want to get away from making too many rolls and opposed checks just to do this. If it can be done with one roll- great.

Tormyr

Adventurer
When I have giants use PCs as weapons, I use the same damage but split it between the two PCs. That way the damage isn't reduced and it leads to a cool bit of the encounter.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
To me, it makes sense that the attack requires 2 rolls to succeed - first roll to pick someone up. If you fail at this, no biggie: just try again next turn. A grapple check seems like a good candidate: there's already rules for that. Second one is a thrown weapon attack roll. PCs should probably use the improvised weapon rules, while monsters should just get their normal attack bonus and whatever damage roll seems appropriate. Apply the damage to the thrown character, and since you've had to make 2 rolls, apply it to whomever or whatever you hit as well.

xdx per y feet makes no sense to me personally.

S'mon

Legend
xdx per y feet makes no sense to me personally.

The only way it would make sense is if the monster threw the PC straight up and the damage was calculated from the highest point in the trajectory. :) Throwing one PC at another, damage AFAICS see should be unaffected by distance; 10' or 50' the velocity should be much the same.

Remove ads