Grade the Modiphius 2d20 System

How do you feel about the Modiphius 2d20 system?

• I love it.

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • It's pretty good.

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • It's alright I guess.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • It's pretty bad.

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • I hate it.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I've never played it.

Votes: 38 40.9%
  • I've never even heard of it

Votes: 4 4.3%

giant.robot

Adventurer
While I own a couple 2d20 games I've only been able to actually play Star Trek. The core mechanic is fine and I think works for games where you want your players to do better on checks than essentially a coin flip. I've become very cool to even a hint of "bounded accuracy" in games and I think STA at least manages to avoid it. Your players feel heroic when they're not bumbling around like idiots half the time.

I'm not necessarily in love with Momentum/Threat meta-currency. My players at least are loathe to take any Threat. They'll use Momentum but would rather fail a check than take Threat. It's not even like I'm running a gritty survival game where Threat would even be very threatening. It's been a beer and pretzels game. It's likely at least partially my fault as I'm not necessarily an expert at the rules myself.

My real problem with 2d20 has been the books (PDFs) themselves. For whatever reason the core rulebook is really hard to follow. It wasn't until going over the Quickstart rules and watching some YouTube videos that I really understood what I should be doing. I've found the starship rules to be just inscrutable so I just avoid them. Things like talents I barely understand. I also despise custom dice for weapon damage. Thankfully Roll20 handles those for me so I don't need to convert by hand.

I don't really mind the system and our STA games have been pretty fun. The rules that we've been using work for us and I don't think we've lost out on anything by ignoring some rules that aren't clear. I've got the Klingon book and I understand the retelling of the rules there are clearer that the original book. I haven't had time to go over it but it is lame it took a few years to get a book with a cogent explanation of the rules.

Vael

Legend
I wasn't aware this was a whole group of systems, only knew about Star Trek Adventures. I was researching the system, I looked briefly into it as we were discussing a new campaign, but haven't played it. (Ended up starting up a Star Wars campaign using FATE)

Remove ads