• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grade the Savage Worlds System

How do you feel about the Savage Worlds game system?

• I love it.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • It's pretty good.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • It's alright I guess.

Votes: 23 19.3%
  • It's pretty bad.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I hate it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never played it.

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • I've never even heard of it.

Votes: 1 0.8%

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
In that case, I'm not sure I would describe Star Wars or Eberron as 'pulp,' they have some fairly complex plots and factions. I can see Green Hornet, though.
So you admittedly don't know the definition of the term, but are arguing with the definitions provided you? I don't understand what your intent is.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
So you admittedly don't know the definition of the term, but are arguing with the definitions provided you? I don't understand what your intent is.
I know the definition; that's the problem! I'm struggling to see how it applies to Savage Worlds. It sounds like people are saying "Savage Worlds is trashy and that's a good thing," and my brain shorts out.

Retreater

Legend
I know the definition; that's the problem! I'm struggling to see how it applies to Savage Worlds. It sounds like people are saying "Savage Worlds is trashy and that's a good thing," and my brain shorts out.
I think a lot of people have fondness for "pulp" applied to media. There's the film Pulp Fiction. There's the game Pulp Cthulhu.
Even when you look at the old Explorers Edition of the game, it was printed on cheap paper for $9.99, designed to be a low cost, easy entrance into the game.
I don't think it's a bad term at all, for me anyway.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I should love Savage Worlds, but I really do not like the basic dice mechanic or raises. I get that it comes from a wargame and needed simple mechanics, and as someone who loves rules-light, ultra-light, and rules-free gaming I should be good…but nope. I am also a huge fan of pulp action-adventure stuff…but nope.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I should love Savage Worlds, but I really do not like the basic dice mechanic or raises. I get that it comes from a wargame and needed simple mechanics, and as someone who loves rules-light, ultra-light, and rules-free gaming I should be good…but nope. I am also a huge fan of pulp action-adventure stuff…but nope.
But you gotta admit, the exploding dice mechanic is pretty cool right? :)

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
It is. Very much. There’s a lot I like about the system. Just not enough to get over how much I dislike the basic task resolution mechanic.
You can actually move it into a PbtA-like space pretty easily by using failure, success, and success with raise as failure, success with cost, and full success.

You can actually move it into a PbtA-like space pretty easily by using failure, success, and success with raise as failure, success with cost, and full success.
I do this frequently. Success or success with additional benefits, failure; failure with consequences for critical fails.

I’ve always found SW to be intuitive. I just don’t think too hard about it.

I think Shooting needs looked at generally, I’d probably look for a ranged Dodge attribute based on Athletics the same way Parry is based on Fighting. Shooting is just too easy based on the core mechanics. You really have to look at cover/obscurement to make it more difficult.

RE: Pulp, in this context it refers to the type of stories being told. I think for purposes of this discussion you could probably use the term interchangeably with cinematic, and be close enough. For examples of pulp: Indiana Jones, the 1999 Mummy, Doc Savage, original Conan, Lensmen, John Carter, and more. Daring, competent heroes. Eberron in the original book is described as D&D meets Pulp Noir.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I’ve always found SW to be intuitive. I just don’t too hard about it. I thinking shooting needs looked at generally, I’d probably look for a ranged Dodge attribute based on Athletics the same way Parry is based on Fighting. Shooting is just too easy based on the core mechanics. You really have to look at cover/obscurement to make it more difficult.
I think this is intentionally. Because the game is ona grid, position and movement are important. So taking cover and such is a net benefit.

Remove ads