Graham Hancock- Fingerprints of the Gods

DanMcS

Explorer
I've been reading Graham Hancock's 1996 book, Fingerprints of the Gods. I'm about halfway through.

The argument he apparently builds up over his entire body of work is that there was a highly advanced civilization 17 or 20 thousand years ago (I'm unclear on this so far) which knew quite a bit about math, science, astronomy, etc, and tracked the precession of the equinoxes because this phenomenon, in some way combined with the earths changing axial tilt and so on, would occasionally cause global catastrophes and possibly wipe everyone out. Obviously the ancients wanted to know about this, so they made really advanced calendars. There may also be something somewhere about the Sun's hypothetical binary companion, a brown dwarf or other similarly hard to spot star, which is tied up in all this astronomical shifting. I'm not sure if that's directly attributable to Hancock or just in this general field of whacky.

For instance (according to Hancock), about 12,500 years ago a buildup of ice at the poles caused the entire earth's crust to slip, moving greenland from about the north pole to its present position, and moving antarctica from a more northerly position to its current polar home. This led to the end of an ice age, melting of a lot of ice, raising the ocean levels by 400 feet, and drowning this advanced civilization (they must have forgotten to check their calendars to see that a cataclysm was due). For their own reasons, these people then went and gave the gift of civilization to ancient South Americans, Egyptians, Sumerians, and so on, resulting in legends about Viracocha, Quetzacoatl, Osiris, and other legendary law/civilization-giving gods or heroes.

Oh, and the age of Pisces is due to end any time now, and the Mayan calendar (as all Shadowrun fans know) says the current age will end on December 23rd, 2012. Earthlings, beware!

Most of his theories fall into the realm of pseudoscience; he takes some minor bit of evidence and runs with it in the direction he was already going anyway. He is actively anti-intellectual and anti-expert, saying the establishment is just trying to keep him down. He refuses to answer actual contradictory facts, criticisms, or counterpublications to his work.

From his website:
Graham Hancock said:
If you want a slavishly "balanced" and objective account of "both sides of the argument" then I'm the wrong author for you!

FotG employs a rhetorical trick that I'm sure has a name, but I'm not sure what. He employs many leading statements of the form: "Is it a coincidence that {A}, or (does it make more sense)/(is it more logical) that {B}", where {A} is a factual statement that very well could be a coincidence, and {B} is a conjecture that gets more and more wild as the book goes on. He hooks you toward the beginning with {A}s that could be coincedences, but probably aren't (like the similar myths of Viracocha and Quetzacoatl, which probably do share a mythic root), and gets you used to agreeing with him. And everybody wants to be logical or do the thing that makes more sense, right?

Like I mentioned, I'm halfway through, and by the end I'm expecting outright insanity, "Is it a coincidence that neither the Nile nor the Milky Way are straight lines, or is it more logical that we're descended from an advanced race of human-alien hybrids that built the pyramids using hoverlasers and invisible robotic servitors while they reclined on their sedan chairs and ATE CHOCOLATE!!!11."

In short, he's everything I dislike about modern pseudoscience. If I were reading this book in search of actual archaeology or history I would have returned it to the library right away, but since I knew going in that Hancock is something of a kook, I've been able to take a bemused view of the whole thing. I think the internet has jaded me to the whacky. Depending on how far off the deep end he goes by the end, I think I'll read some more of his books, because really, all of this stuff is roleplaying gold.

Imagine, a setting 20,000 years ago, when antarctica is out of the polar ice and is the home of an advanced civilization of people rendered super-heroic by their technology. They even have space flight, which they use to fly to mars and venus and battle the invaders from Nemesis, the sun's dark binary companion. I must run this game.

Has anybody read any of the rest of his books? I'm sure my library has them, and I may need to check them out, if only to keep them from falling into the hands of innocent schoolchildren seeking actual facts and stuff. :)

Rackhir

Explorer
Actually, it sounds like he lifted this from the first of Doc "EE" Smith's Lensemen's novels.

Yeah I remember when I found a roomate's copy of Richard Hoagland's book about the so-called
"Face on Mars". He basically spends 800 pages making extrapolations based on bad measurments of things, he thinks he sees, in low resolution photographs of the martian surface near the "Face" and then matching his imagined data to random bits of information that "Proves" Fox Mulder was actually Kaiser Sosye. It really made it clear to me why the scientific method and Occam's Razor are so valuable in sorting through junk claims. Since if you want to spend enough time making spurious corellations you can "Prove" just about anything you like.

DanMcS

Explorer
Rackhir said:
Actually, it sounds like he lifted this from the first of Doc "EE" Smith's Lensemen's novels.

Haven't read those, probably should. The space flight stuff was my wild ramblings, though.

According to wikipedia (here's your salt), a bear spirit told him a lot of this stuff.

:)

Agh, this guy. I had a gaming buddy who swore by "Fingerprints of the Gods", even after I explained how bad the science was.

For instance (according to Hancock), about 12,500 years ago a buildup of ice at the poles caused the entire earth's crust to slip, moving greenland from about the north pole to its present position, and moving antarctica from a more northerly position to its current polar home.

I remember this particular bit of dumbassitude from the infamous "Mysterious Origins of Man" special with Charlton Heston that ran on NBC many years ago. They called it "plate-sliptonics" or Earth Crustal Displacement, and basically described it as the weight of ice at the poles causing the entire crust to move as one southward because south is down. I kid you not.

I've never read that book, but I read Mysteries of Mars. It was actually less wacky than I hoped; I was hoping to get some good Dark*Matter stuff out of that book, and it wasn't sufficiently kooky.

Rackhir

Explorer
DanMcS said:
Haven't read those, probably should. The space flight stuff was my wild ramblings, though.

According to wikipedia (here's your salt), a bear spirit told him a lot of this stuff.

:)

I should warn you that the dialogue in the Lenseman books can be nearly as hard to swallow as Graham's science. Purple prose doesn't begin to describe it.

The_Universe

First Post
It's total crap, but highly entertaining in a "lunatic fringe" kind of way. Hancock's far from the worst of the pseudoscientific ilk, but he's still pretty kooky. Plate sliptonics, for instance, has been widely and firmly debunked.

The probable age of the sphynx at Giza, however, remains somewhat problematic. That doesn't mean that Hancock is right (he probably isn't), but it's a problem that no one, as far as I know, has a real firm handle on.

Alhazred

First Post
DanMcS said:
FotG employs a rhetorical trick that I'm sure has a name, but I'm not sure what. He employs many leading statements of the form: "Is it a coincidence that {A}, or (does it make more sense)/(is it more logical) that {B}", where {A} is a factual statement that very well could be a coincidence, and {B} is a conjecture that gets more and more wild as the book goes on. He hooks you toward the beginning with {A}s that could be coincedences, but probably aren't (like the similar myths of Viracocha and Quetzacoatl, which probably do share a mythic root), and gets you used to agreeing with him. And everybody wants to be logical or do the thing that makes more sense, right?

I believe the rhetorical device you're thinking of, actually a logical fallacy, is the false dichotomy fallacy. Essentially, Hancock posits two possible solutions to a problem when, in fact, there are more than two possible solutions. Then, by discrediting one solution, he forces the reader to accept the other solution, never considering alternate possibilities.

While I haven't read FotG, I have read (well, skimmed) some of his other books. Great fiction.

Alhazred

First Post
There was an interesting article in Skeptic Magazin (Charioteer of the Gods: H.P. Lovecraft and the Invention of Ancient Astronauts, Jason Colavito, vol. 10 no. 4, 2004) in which Colavito posits that Erich von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods was strongly influenced by Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos. Daniken's theories of ancient astronauts visiting Earth emerged shortly after Lovecraft's stories - and Lovecraft-inspired stories - began to penetrate the French and German science fiction market, in the 1950s and 1960s. According to Colavito, Daniken's theories are more than passingly similar to Lovecraft's and his disciples' alternate histories (he quotes both authors to demonstrate just how closely Daniken parallels Lovecraft; it's quite remarkable). While Colavito refrains from suggesting that Daniken purposefully copied Lovecraft, he does consider Daniken to have been heavily influence.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
DanMcS said:
Has anybody read any of the rest of his books? I'm sure my library has them, and I may need to check them out, if only to keep them from falling into the hands of innocent schoolchildren seeking actual facts and stuff. :)

I've read several of his books. He's quite fun, and I typically enjoy reading him. On the whole, he writes entertainingly, especially if you like travelogues; really, that's what most of his books are. Also, he's not an Ancient Astronut; he's not *that* kind of loony. :)

In The Sign and the Seal, he hunts for the Ark in Ethiopia. There are two very amusing parts to this; first, when he realizes that, hey, being associated with the previous Communist regime is going to make his attempts to get back into the country to go Ark-hunting...difficult, and then when he meets the priest whose job it is to watch over the alleged Ark. The latter part is amusing mostly in that he asks some boneheaded questions...like, several times, "Can I see it?" Oy. While not directly related to gaming, of course, it gives ideas on how to direct PCs after ancient artifacts. Plus, it gives you an excuse to have lightsabers in ancient Egypt.

Underworld is a more recent work, and quite fun. Basically, he's realized that Antarctica is not a viable place for the Antedeluvians to have lived. So, where else to look? On the now-submerged continental shelves! That's actually not nearly as ludicrous as it sounds; remember, sea levels are much lower than they are now in periods of glaciation, and he posits that those would've been where most of any ancient civilization's population would live. He gets somebody to come up with sea level maps for him, and spends a good deal of time in India and Japan diving on submerged ruins between the subcontinent and Sri Lanka. Unfortunately, as he admits, submerged ruins are REALLY HARD to date in any meaningful manner, and the sea-level maps he has specifically do not take into account any sort of tectonic disturbance.

*This* is gaming gold, here. For my upcoming Shadowrun game, I'm using it to remodel the prehistory represented by Earthdawn.

I started on Talisman, which is about secret societies, but never finished it. It got boring after a while, but the nice history of the Cathars came in really handy with Glen Cook's new novel.

Brad

Remove ads