D&D 5E Grand Master of Flowers: Speculation on James Wyatt's October Book

Nathaniel Lee

Adventurer
Well, his wandering persona is mentioned in thenPHB, MM, and DMG, I believe.
I vaguely recall seeing something in the 5e books, but it must not have seemed that important. ;)

I've seen some mention of Bahamut taking on human form in the Forgotten Realms wiki, but I didn't recall a specific identity other than "old dude with seven canaries"... but to be fair I probably just didn't pay enough attention to that. :)

I only recall the Dragonlance one so vividly because I loved the original three Dragonlance books and had read them relatively early on in my D&D career. The earlier settings lore sunk in a lot more with me. I didn't actually even engage with Forgotten Realms stuff beyond what was covered in the SSI Gold Box games until much later on. I don't know why it just never caught on as much with me.

I was just doing a little reading and never realized that both D&D and the Final Fantasy video game series appropriated the name of Bahamut from Arabian mythology. Not the description, though, just the name, as it appears it is D&D that originates Bahamut as a dragon.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I was just doing a little reading and never realized that both D&D and the Final Fantasy video game series appropriated the name of Bahamut from Arabian mythology. Not the description, though, just the name, as it appears it is D&D that originates Bahamut as a dragon.

Yeah, I believe Bahamut is a sea monster in Arabian mythology. I believe D&D is the first property to pick it up and use it as a Dragon God, and then Final Fantasy and other properties like Granblue picked it up from D&D that Bahamut is a Dragon God.

Magister Ludorum

Adventurer
"There are seven huge ancient gold dragons of highest abilities and loyalty who serve as guards, companions, and advisors to Bahamut. He seldom (10%) is without them. (A sage tells of encountering Bahamut in the guise of an old hermit, with seven canaries singing sweetly as they flitted nearby. The sage relates that he would never have known that he was anything other than what he appeared to be except that a group of ogres and trolls happened by much to their sorrow. . .)"

1e MM had him accompanied by sparrows.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases