D&D General Great and not so great setting specific sourebooks/modules

Shiroiken

Legend
I am coming to think every metaplot eventually reaches the point where a consensus of the devoted fans go "nope, I'm going to just ignore that and act like that never happened."

My World of Darkness-playing friends pretty much ignore The Reckoning, for example (unless the plot of the game is specifically Gehenna/Apocalypse/end-of-the-world scenario).
The problem becomes differentiating between a novel and a setting. My issue with Dragonlance was that after the War of the Lance, the setting became less interesting; same with Dark Sun. They make for great reading material, but it's hard to translate it into a workable setting. Realms managed to do this for a quite a long time, probably because it was originally a setting for stories rather than as an RPG setting.

Sometimes a metaplot isn't in the settings best interest. Greyhawk was never meant to have a metaplot, except as expanded by modules (adventures), but TSR changed that with the success of the Realms. I don't think Eberron has a metaplot either. I didn't think Mystara had one, but I hadn't heard about Alphatia (was it an adventure?).

Voadam

Legend
I am a pretty big fan in general of having a relatively short high level overview of a setting that is evocative and can be filled in and riffed on easily as a player or GM.

Scarred Lands did a good job of this as well with their Ghelspad Gazetteer. 60 pages that give a short tour of the countries on one continent, the Gods and Titans, and the recent Titanomachy style Gods War that involved all the mortals as well. Very Greek Myth style D&D, sort of like 4e's Dawn War if it happened within the last 100 years, with lots of points of light city states surrounded by monsters and wilderness. And the places are generally interesting and evocative: tattoo witch run northern barbarians, Paladin run city under the remains of a mountain sized titan fighting Mithral golem, rune smith dwarves are the premier (but not only) wizard society, a Lawful Neutral society of Necromancers who hate intelligent undead but have mastered constructing mindless undead to defend against hostile invading monsters, a Lawful Evil warlord who is establishing the biggest bastion of civilization. And it is pay what you want so everyone in a group can get up to speed easily.

Then for those who are interested in delving in further there are lots of other sourcebooks to go more in-depth.

The Glen

Legend
Best books? In no order:

Night's Dark Terror. One of the best written modules for any rpg, not just D&D. Linear but not a railroad, starts of with an ambush, then a siege, a treasure hunt, a chase with slavers to a lost valley and two civilizations trapped in an eternal war. All by level 4.

Aurora's. Lot of love for this one already, but I have to concur. Just a fantastic supplement that immerses you in the setting.

Domains of Dread. Wonderful world book for Ravenloft, draws you in and won't let you leave.

3rd edition Realms guide. If there is a better all encompassing world book for D&D, I can't think of one.

Legacy of Blood. In a series dominated by the already excellent Test of the Warlords, this one breaks from the mold by having you save a failing domain while trying to find whose is sabotaging you.

Temple of the Frog. A spoiler cover is a bummer, but the module is filled twists and turns along with new levels of horror.

Bestiary of Giants and Dragons. Numerous adventures from 1st to 36th featuring numerous encounters with the titular creatures. Even if the last one is lacking, where else do you get to pull the tooth from a dragon Immortal?

Veiled Society. In a series filled with entry level dungeon crawls this one is a murder mystery amd an urban adventure as well. Just cover up the cover because both sides give away the killer.

And the bad:

Endless Stair. This one seems to be incomplete. Lack of monsters, lots of walking and pages of exposition with no real plot except a macguffin hunt for a borderline useless artifact.

Gargoyle. Just a silly module. A bunch of kids protecting a gargoyle with detachable wings.

Tomb of Horrors. Overhyped meat grinder that forgot to make it fun.

Castle Greyhawk. A big middle finger to Gary that turns his dream module into a looney tunes episode.

Atruaghin Clans. The author was given an impossible deadline for the last of the otherwise excellent gazetteer series and it shows. Obviously padded with huge margins, insane amount of art, noticeable increased font size and no editing at all.

Azuresun

Adventurer
As for metaplot, while I know a lot of Realms fans ignore the Spellplague and everything after it (rather like most Dragonlance fans I know ignore the Chaos War and everything after it, and how the Planescape fans I know ignore the Faction War and everything after it), I'm sure a lot of people would like to see how the big deux ex machina reset that undid a lot of the spellplague's sweeping changes actually were worked in. They've jumped the timeline ahead well over a century from the 3e FRCS now, and after 4e did things like wipe entire countries off the map and level entire cities, only for them to be back on the map now, asking how and when those things happened is a valid question for someone trying to keep up with metaplot.

For me, I burned out on "keeping up with metaplot" after being a While Wolf fan, circa the Time of Thin Blood / Week of Nightmares. Most of the time it boils down to NPC's doing cooler stuff than you'll ever be able to, and bits of the setting that (at least some) people liked being blown up to raise the stakes.

I don't see the value in an "update" because from everything I've heard, the Spellplague and Sundering were straight out of a bad Marvel / DC Comics event--a huge crisis crossover that mangled the setting beyond all recognition.....followed by other creators trying to retcon the whole thing as best they can without just saying "that never happened". Because rather than trying to reverse an ill-advised setting change in-universe, I can just say that never happened or that it hasn't happened yet. We're playing in the 3e setting and period with 5e rules, the metaplot is just a possible future, now go.

Azuresun

Adventurer
Speaking of the Forgotten Realms, I really liked the Underdark book for 3.5. It struck the right balance between making a semi-plausible underground world, and creating a wonderfully weird and alien place that would freak out even veteran adventurers.

For me, I burned out on "keeping up with metaplot" after being a While Wolf fan, circa the Time of Thin Blood / Week of Nightmares. Most of the time it boils down to NPC's doing cooler stuff than you'll ever be able to, and bits of the setting that (at least some) people liked being blown up to raise the stakes.

I don't see the value in an "update" because from everything I've heard, the Spellplague and Sundering were straight out of a bad Marvel / DC Comics event--a huge crisis crossover that mangled the setting beyond all recognition.....followed by other creators trying to retcon the whole thing as best they can without just saying "that never happened". Because rather than trying to reverse an ill-advised setting change in-universe, I can just say that never happened or that it hasn't happened yet. We're playing in the 3e setting and period with 5e rules, the metaplot is just a possible future, now go.
Yeah, I mentioned upthread how most White Wolf fans I knew gave up on metaplot with the Reckoning (Week of Nightmares/Time of Thin blood, all the same events). I definitely get you on that being the moment most WW fans just started to walk away from the metaplot of WoD.

Yeah, the Spellplague really did seem like some bad plot twist from a comic book, like a soft reboot of a popular book to fit new trends:

They had Shar kill Mystra (and Mystra stay dead, which was the weird part, since you know, she's not supposed to be able to permanently die, even to the point that if she does die, Ao just elevates someone else to the role of Goddess of Magic), and her death caused magic to go wild (like when Mystril died during the Fall of Netheril), ravaging all of Toril for years or decades, killing most of the Faerunian pantheon, completely reshaping the map, wiping countries and cities off the map, a new continent emerges in the ocean, and 4e picks up a century later the chaos has died down to the point of it being ready for adventurers. . .and now Faerun is a Grimdark 4e "Points of Light" setting with 4e-specific elements like the Raven Queen and Primordials and Elemental Chaos and such shoehorned in. . .and then at the end of 4e they have a metaplot event spelled out in an RPGA Living Forgotten Realms module that explains why Ao couldn't stop the spellplague or revive Mystra (the forces Shar used to kill Mystra were from the Far Realm, outside Realmspace and Ao's control and even the almighty Ao was helpless to block the Far Realm incursion that cause the Spellplague, and it would take him a long time to be able to purge it from Realmspace). . .so with 5e it's my understanding that they went to Ed Greenwood and asked him to help fix the Realms that they'd broken, and they basically had Ao undo the various changes over a few years, reshaping the map back into its familiar shape, reviving the dozens of gods that were killed, rebuilding the cities that were destroyed. . .and they never were too specific about how it happened (because they didn't make a 5e Realms book yet) but now in the 5e timeline, it's about 120 years after the 3e timeline, but things are vaguely much the same as they were in 3e, except for where they aren't, but they haven't detailed what's different and what isn't.

. . .and yeah, it does sound like a comic book deciding to take on a "dark and edgy" tone under a new writer, only for it to flop and another writer to come along and try to retcon it all away. Only way it could be more of a retcon would be to have Chronomancers outright prevent it from having happened in the first place.

Azuresun

Adventurer
. . .so with 5e it's my understanding that they went to Ed Greenwood and asked him to help fix the Realms that they'd broken, and they basically had Ao undo the various changes over a few years, reshaping the map back into its familiar shape, reviving the dozens of gods that were killed, rebuilding the cities that were destroyed. . .and they never were too specific about how it happened (because they didn't make a 5e Realms book yet) but now in the 5e timeline, it's about 120 years after the 3e timeline, but things are vaguely much the same as they were in 3e, except for where they aren't, but they haven't detailed what's different and what isn't.

It sounds like it would have been better to do what Dark Sun (ironically, also in 4e) did when figuring out "how do we take out all the Prism Pentad stuff?". Just take the setting back to a pre-blown-up point in time, and just say "the Spellplague is a possible future if you like 4e Realms and want to play there, but not the default we're using, this is a continuation of the 3e Realms".

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Speaking of the Forgotten Realms, I really liked the Underdark book for 3.5. It struck the right balance between making a semi-plausible underground world, and creating a wonderfully weird and alien place that would freak out even veteran adventurers.

I used to be a big fan of the Underdark until I read Veins of the Earth. Then suddenly the Underdark seemed far too safe and full.

Voadam

Legend
I felt 3e Rokugan was a well done D&D fantasy samurai setting. Legends of the Five Rings has a long history starting with a collectible card game and several editions of a roll and keep RPG system with metaplot running throughout. The setting got adapted as the official setting for 3e Oriental Adventures and developed in its own book. Reading the setting book on its own without a lot of knowledge of the rest of it still gave me a great sense of the setting and engaged me with its themes and factions. The various clans are distinct and interesting with easy to grasp identities and well developed politics. The focus on samurai, split into swordsman, courtier, and spellcasting classes, was distinct and gave a sense of Rokugan as its own thing without many of the normal D&Disms of elves and druids. It also is not trying to cover every asian thing, so it is not applying samurai stuff to fantasy D&D China the way Kara Tur did. I also like the big supernatural Evil behind the Great Wall theme, even though I do not really care for taint mechanics in general.

Remove ads