• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Great books for young people?

F5

Explorer
Wow. What an amazing list, so far. I had to run over to my bookshelf and see what else I could find (I have never thrown away a book, that I can remember, and my wife is an elementary school reading teacher, so we have a pretty massive library).
I may have missed it, but I haven't seen T.H White's The Once and Future King yet. I remember liking that one, though I don't quite remember how old I was when I read it.
Someone mentioned Diana Wynne Jones' Chrestomancy series. That's another good one, especially well-suited as a follow-up for the kid who's just read all the Harry Potter books, and doesn't know what to do next.
Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy is phenomenal. Absolutely, breathtakingly phenomenal, and full of brialliant and comlplex ideas. If anyone on this list hasn't read it yet, you should, regardless of age. One thing to be aware of, though, it is DARK. Some of the things that happen to the kids in these books are downright tragic. It could be upsetting, so use your judgement if your kids are ready for it.
A relatively new author of kids/young adult fantasy that I like a lot is Garth Nix. He's got two books out right now that I'd recommend: Sabriel and Lirael. A third is on the way sometime later this year I think. The series is about a girl who is the last in a long line of hereditary necromancers, who use their powers to put the dead to rest, rather than raise them. Very well written, and much more accessible than it sounds from my description. Definitely worth checking out.

<edit> here's a link to the publisher's homepage:
http://www.garthnix.co.uk

-F5

Last edited:

Florin

First Post
Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar saga (read that around 12 years old)

the Lone Wolf books by Joe Dever and someone else who's name I can't remember...

AuroraGyps

First Post
I thought of another really funny and great book that I loved when I was younger. "Elf Defense" by Esther M. Friesner is so funny. It's a contemporary fantasy where the inhabitants of Elfland come to a small town for... well, I won't spoil the whole thing. I will say that my favorite part is the little guy that sells "Mary Kay"like cosmetics (if I remember correctly) and the woman that wants to get out of buying stuff doen't have to guess his name (ala Rumplestiltskin), but his Social Security Number. :)

mmadsen

First Post
I grew up reading the ERB Barsoom books (A Princess of Mars, etc.) They're great for D&D inspiration!
I loved Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom books too, but I'm afraid some kids would dwell on the dated elements, e.g. John Carter is a Civil War veteran.

CCamfield

First Post
Robin McKinley: <U>The Hero and the Crown</u> and <U>The Blue Sword</u>

Clare Bell: <U>Ratha's Creature</u> and following. 'Bout intelligent prehistoric great cats who discover fire.

Robert Westall: <U>The Cats of Seroster</u>. Gritty medieval environment, a young unwilling hero, and a bunch of magical cats which <i>work</i>

'Course these aren't the actual books that I was reading when I was young (except the McKinley books). I remember going through the Many-Coloured Land series by Julian May; I think the sexual stuff went right over my head at the time. :)

Oh, another:

Dave Duncan, <U>Sir Stalwart</u>, first book of the King's Daggers series. Set in his King's Blades series, but for a younger audience.

Fast Learner

First Post
I'll also recommend Tamora Pierce's work (my daughter is 16 now and enjoyed them for many years).

For kids I strongly recommend against Martin's Song of Fire and Ice: while there may be some kids for whom it is appropriate, the scenes of rape and graphic sex are probably not appropriate from the perspective of most parents until the later teen years (or even adulthood for the most conservative parents).

mmadsen

First Post
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. Who didn't love The Hobbit?
Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis. I particularly recommend The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (the "main" book), The Horse and His Boy (wonderful Arabian Nights flavor), and Prince Caspian. Some of the more overtly Christian parts just seem spooky and surreal.
Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander.
Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. I can't imagine any kid needs my recommendation though.
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. I also recommend Dream Days and The Golden Age.
Peter Pan by James Barrie. It's far more surreal than you'd expect.
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert C. O'Brien.
Watership Down by Richard Adams.
The Once and Future King by T.H. White. The first book -- they're all in one volume now -- is very light. It's about young Arthur's tutelage under Merlin and how he becomes king. By the end of the last book, the tone becomes quite grim. It is a tragedy after all.

Pinocchio, Arabian Nights, Grimm's Fairy Tales, anything by Hans Christian Andersen, Greek mythology, Norse mythology, Robin Hood, King Arthur, etc.

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. A classic, but I don't remember enjoying it that much.
The Golden Compass (originally The Northern Lights) by Pullman didn't do much for me.
Atlas Shrugged or The Fountain Head by Ayn Rand. While I might recommend Rand for college freshmen, I assume recommending Rand's 1000-page philosophical novel for children was a not-so-funny joke.
The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. The movie really turned me off, but I kept thinking I should read the book. Jürgen's recommendation may have finally swayed me.

Meds

First Post
Blood Jester said:

Is that the same Gerald Durrell who ran a Zoo in Jersey (Britain, not US) and wrote many books about his travels collecting animal specimens for his and other zoos? If so that was one of my favorite authors when I was 10~11. Actually, he still sits in the top 5, at least.

Sorry for the delayed response Blood Jester. Yes, it's the very same Gerald Durrell. 'The Talking Parcel' is the only fiction book of his I've read -- not sure if there are any others.

mmadsen

First Post
The Neverending Story by Michael Ende: The book is a lot better and a lot darker than the movies. Hey, in the book, Bastian ends up leading an army against the Ivory Tower, and nearly slays Atrejù in combat! [/B]
Jürgen, what's the reading level of the original German novel? Is it a children's book? Is it the kind of book an English-speaker who's studied a bit of German might read, or is it at a more-or-less adult level?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads