• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Great class combos?

Darklone

Hmmm

I am surprised the Monk1/wizard has not been mentioned. He's better than the monk/sorcerer... And the one level for monk gives him horrible saves, better unarmed damage (combine with touch attacks), better AC... Since every monk I knew had good Int anyways. Ok, not that halforc one...

The one level you loose is not that bad, you are still on par with a sorcerer concerning spell levels.

Your DCs may not be soo good, but you can easily buff your AC to astronomical values. And the great range of spells helps with your versatility, the monk skills help not to rely on spells for everything. And I didn't talk about evasion yet :]

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Two favorites:

The monk/Paladin who runs around with the monks agility and the paladins greatsword

Fighter/Psi Warrior, the ultimate low-level feat machine with a few spare powers that come in handy from time to time.

Malin Genie

First Post
I agree with Mnk1/DrdX or Bbn1/DrdX having good wildshape synergies, but you lose caster level and wildshape progression.

The 'fighting' classes are the only ones worth multiclassing out of -Bbn4/Rog1/Rgr1 gets uncanny dodge(flanking), 2x rage, sneak attack and two-weapon fighting; and (especially if the rogue level went first) good skills. Paladin IMHO should be single-classed, as all of its abilities depend on level - except DG and AoC. But to have DG be useful you need to put a lot of points into Cha at character-building time.

mkletch

First Post
Splash classes

As long as massive spellcasting ability is not your goal, you can benefit from almost any other class. First level in a class always gives you the +2 in one or more save categories, and often a core ability (Divine Grace, Track/TWF/Ambi, etc.).

One of the really good classes is cleric. A single level in cleric gives you about 6-7 spells (though most are minor) plaus two domain abilities. If you pick abilities that are not level dependent (Luck comes to mind...), you score big.

Three levels of Rogue has been mentioned, and is an obvious sweet spot. Four in Fighter is OK, but two is just fine (two bonus feats, anyone?).

Even a single level in sorcerer can be sweet for the utility spells (Expeditious Retreat, Mage Armor, Shield, etc.). Again, it lacks some punch but provides great utility.

The key with splash classes is have an idea for the character, and pick abilities to fill that out. I took an idea from an evil NPC ranger with favored enemies against the party, and the idea evolved into a Cleric 2 (War & Travel)/Fighter 2/Ranger 5/Rogue 3/Shadowdancer 1. With a couple low level magic items, he has Hide +29, Move Silently +29, Jump +40, Bluff +15 and several other good skills. Throw in Shot on the Run feat and Speed armor (from DotF, for permanent Haste) as the only non-trivial magic item, he can move shoot and hide all in the same round. Hide checks of 40+ are hard to beat. On a good roll, he can even hide while running! The Hide in Plain Sight from shadowdancer is just gravy.

He dealt massive damage to the party and dropped the cleric before getting away, and might even gain a level before the next encounter. What should I add? Sorcerer for Shield and Expeditious Retreat, or raise Cleric to eventually get Dispel Magic?

-Fletch!

Henry

Autoexreginated
As I said in another post, Rogues are like bread -- they go well with almost anything. :D

One player in our very first 3E game took (in order) Rogue1, then Monk1, then Fighter 1, and then Wizard the rest of the way. He learned a tragic mistake later when he was 5th level, and couldn't even cast 2nd level spells! A pure sorcerer was ahead of him magically!

Perhaps the fighter level was completely unnecessary, but he had rudimentary skills in EVERYTHING, and could evade, sneak attack, deflect arrows, and could use any arcane magic item (he proved deadly with a wand of lighting bolt he won in battle.)

Monk/Wizard is good, Human Fighter/Rogue is great for a starting swashbuckler (6 feats!!!), and you can dish out tremendous bouts of pain with a half-orc fighter/barbarian.

My personal favorite has been a halfling fighter/rogue/halfling Thrower prestige class. He is able to tumble out of nasty situations and use his bow in most combats.

Bozo

First Post
rogue/assassin/duelist

Nothing like a high INT to count for offense and defense!!!...and you don't loose out an any d6 sneak attacks because you pick up precise strike which you get all the time..except with pesky undead...

kolvar

First Post
I allways thought, Monk/ Psion or Monk/ Psychic Warrior could be great combos, never played one, though, but the psionic feats would augment the monk nicely (most levels as monk)

maddman75

First Post
I've generated by not gotten to run yet a Monk/Sorcerer - who will likely go straight Monk after level 1. With Mage Armor, True Strike, and Spider Climb for spells/ki powers (who said only psi warriors can run up walls! Besides, no psi here) and the ability to have wands made - (I see him having meditation stones made, that focus and harness his ki)

Lots of fun - hope I get to run him soon.

Psion

Adventurer
In my campaign, I like using multiclass combos to represent certain character types.

I have a group of assassins that are generally rogue/monk. The combination works well because the stunning blow and flurry of blows abilities have a good synergy with sneak attack.

I have a group of sentinels and spies known as the bloodguard. They are generally ranger/rogues and ranger/fighter/rogues. Ranger and rogue have a good skill synergy and make a nice stealthy scout. Adding fighter to the mix ups the combat potential, and all three classes have a good "low level kick."

Bozo

First Post
monk/priest

You can still get mage armour with the right domains. You get your wisdom bonus to spells. And don't have to worry about wasting points in a silly charisma stat...Not to mention cure light wounds!!

Remove ads