• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Great D&D 5e DPR build

Minsc

Explorer
Please LMK if this works:

Fighter 2/Warlock 18

Start out with your Fighter levels. You're here for the CON saves, the heavy armor, the Great Weapon fighting style, and Action Surge. Alternately, you can add 2 more levels for the ASI.

Pact of the Blade Warlock. Fiend Patron for the bonus HP when you down a baddie.

You want the Invocations that add you CHA to hit/dmg, the extra attack one, and Devils Sight.

Hex spell and Darkness spell. Hex used when others are fighting with you. Darkness/Devils sight combo when it's you against the world. The advantage of fighting in darkness counters the disadvantage of the great weapon fighter feat.

You can action surge and double your attacks for a super nova.

What do you guys think?

Zardnaar

Legend
You can only action surge 1/day but my wife is playing a Fighter1/Warlock 8 and the build is legit and better than the single classed bladelock. She doesn't use devils sight for the simple reason it also blinds the rest of the party members. SHe was using armour of agathys+hex but has moved onto hex+fire shield+ a spell slot left over she uses for fireball or whatever. The reason she gets 3 spells at level 8 as a warlock is because hex lasts 8 hours if cast in a higher level slot so you get 2 more spells after a short rest.

The fighter dip is great as it gives you proficiency in con saves, heavy armor and a weapon style. You build is more of a nova build than DPR. Warlock2/SorcererXYZ is better for that than a fighter 2 splash level and for a nova ftr2/Warlock2/SorcererXYZ beats them all. Your build will be level 14 for example befroe it gets charisma to damage. Are you after a hypothetical level 20 build or a build you might actually want to play?

Level 20. Warlock 2/Fighter2/Sorcerer16. Action surge+quicken.

Last edited:

Minsc

Explorer
Why add 2 levels of Fighter and sacrifice 9th level spells on the sorcerer/warlock? The sorcerer adds CON saves and you'd hope to not use your weapons or armor too often.

And this is all hypothetical.

You can only action surge 1/day but my wife is playing a Fighter1/Warlock 8 and the build is legit and better than the single classed bladelock. She doesn't use devils sight for the simple reason it also blinds the rest of the party members. SHe was using armour of agathys+hex but has moved onto hex+fire shield+ a spell slot left over she uses for fireball or whatever. The reason she gets 3 spells at level 8 as a warlock is because hex lasts 8 hours if cast in a higher level slot so you get 2 more spells after a short rest.

I asked my DM about a Darkness/Blink combo. (My BladeLock has an ArchFey patron.) He ruled that if I cast Darkness on myself, or an object my character is holding, then the Darkness goes with me when I "blink" out (50/50 chance) and comes back with me when I "blink" back in at the start of my turn.

So with that combo, Darkness doesn't blind my party nearly as much. I think the only way to improve on the 50/50 odds on Blink would be the Luck feat, as far as I know.

Zardnaar

Legend
Why add 2 levels of Fighter and sacrifice 9th level spells on the sorcerer/warlock? The sorcerer adds CON saves and you'd hope to not use your weapons or armour too often.

And this is all hypothetical.

Because you might want to play it from level 1? Even at level 20 if you want nova damage you marry up quicken+action surge or cast foresight on the crossbow expert+sharpshooter combo. Your build is a bit meh because once you have done your 1/day spurt with action surge you basically suck. A Sorlock can out action surge a fighter by using quicken and sacrificing spell slots for more sorcerer points to quicken Eldritch Blasts. I think a fighter has to take in excess of 10 or 13 short rests to beat he Sorlock at doing that and the Sorlock has other options as well like quickening a greater invisibility granting them advantage to hit as well.

The Sorlock level 20.
Warlock 2/Sorcerer 18.

A Smart Sorlock probably has advantage on initiative rolls as well via an enhance ability (dexterity) spell.

Last edited:

Remove ads