• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Great Villain Showdown: 2nd Round [Results Posted]

Kilmore

First Post
1. Ming the Merciless
2. Great Cthulhu
3. Professor James Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes)
4. The Joker
5. Thanos
6. Napoleon the Pig (Animal Farm)
7. Lady Deathstrike (X-men)
8. Wile E. Coyote
9. Lord Voldemort
10. Ernst Stavro Blofeld (James Bond)
11. Sauron (Lord of the Rings)
12. Dr. Fu Manchu
13. Pinhead (Hellraiser)
14. The Master (Dr. Who)
15. Lex Luthor
16. Prince John (Disney's Robin Hood)
17. Tony Montana (Scarface)
18. Dracula
19. Khan Noonian Singh
20. Thoth-Amon (Conan Stories)
21. Megatron
22. John Powell (Night of the Hunter)
23. Mr. Burns
24. Dorian Gray
25. Mr. Edward Hyde
26. Magneto
27. Jack Torrence (The Shining)
28. Destro (GI Joe)
29. Cigarette Smoking Man (X-Files)
30. Docter Octopus
31. Darth Vader
32. Thulsa Doom

Wolv0rine

First Post
1. Ming the Merciless
2. Dr. Frank N. Furter (Rocky Horror Picture Show)
3. Professor James Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes)
4. The Joker
5. Galactus
6. Napoleon the Pig (Animal Farm)
7. John Doe (Se7en)
8. Lord Soth
9. Lord Voldemort
11. Keyser Soze
12. Dr. Fu Manchu
13. Pinhead (Hellraiser)
14. The Master (Dr. Who)
15. Satan (The Exorcist)
16. Gollum
17. Hal 9000
18. Dracula
19. Khan Noonian Singh
20. Jason Voorhees (Friday the 13th movies)
21. T1000
22. Randall Flagg (The Stand)
23. Pennywise the Dancing Clown (It)
24. Dorian Gray
25. Mr. Edward Hyde
26. Emperor Palpatine
27. Jack Torrence (The Shining)
28. Graf Orlock (Nosferatu)
29. Mr. Glass (Unbreakable)
30. The Kurgan (Highlander)
31. Darth Vader
32. Thulsa Doom

Hmm, that was a lot easier than I expected. :)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Mad Hatter said:
I chose the Borg Queen because she is never redeemed. Vader is. She's the lone individual in the collective and she actually realizes and encourages the horrendous crimes of the Borg. That screams villain to me.

imho the Queen weakened the concept of the Borg as a single collective entity which acted as a hive and removed all concept of self. By having an individual amidst the collective diminished the terror of it all. Its not hard to be the Borg Queen because everyone you lead is a mindless drone the caters to your whim
The Emperor on the other hand lead a hierarchy of competent individuals and Vader was the means by which control was maintained. Vader was the strong hand and the face of power in the empire that kept the other parts in order. He was redeemed but then thats the whole purpose of the tale...

Particle_Man

Explorer
Hmmm...what if the Borg were Smurfy?

"We are The Smurfs. Your consciousness and abilities will be assimilated into our Smurfyness. Resistance is Futile. You are Locutus Smurf."

I could see it.

The great thing about the Smurfs is that you can do ANYTHING to them and not feel guilty. :)

1. Ming the Merciless
2. Great Cthulhu
3. Professor James Moriarty
4. Wicked Witch of the West
6. Six (Battlestar Galatica)
7. John Doe (Se7en)
8. Wile E. Coyote
9. Lord Voldemort
10. Boba Fett
11. Keyser Soze
12. Dr. Fu Manchu
15. Lex Luthor
16. Gollum
17. Tony Montana
18. Dracula
19. Khan Noonian Singh
21. T1000
22. Randall Flagg
23. Mr. Burns
24. Strahd Von Zarovich
26. Emperor Palpatine
27. Jack Torrence
28. Graf Orlock
29. Cigarette Smoking Man
30. The Kurgan
31. Darth Vader
32. Hannibal Lector

Mad Hatter said:
I chose the Borg Queen because she is never redeemed. Vader is. She's the lone individual in the collective and she actually realizes and encourages the horrendous crimes of the Borg. That screams villain to me.
I chose Vader over BQ because I was really annoyed that they would simply trash the entire very clearly established notion of a collective for the Borg just so they could vomit up a trite, traditional, individual villian on the screen. Lame.

Endur

First Post
Not Voting In This Post

Here are the villains I don't remember or recognize:
7. John Doe (Se7en)
14. The Master (Dr. Who)
15. Satan (The Exorcist)
19. Khan Noonian Singh vs David Xanatos (Gargoyles)
22. Randall Flagg (The Stand) vs John Powell (Night of the Hunter)
23. Pennywise the Dancing Clown (It)
24. Dorian Gray
27. Anubis (Stargate SG-1)
28. Graf Orlock (Nosferatu)
31. The Borg Queen

Mad Hatter

First Post
Tonquez said:
imho the Queen weakened the concept of the Borg as a single collective entity which acted as a hive and removed all concept of self. By having an individual amidst the collective diminished the terror of it all. Its not hard to be the Borg Queen because everyone you lead is a mindless drone the caters to your whim
The Emperor on the other hand lead a hierarchy of competent individuals and Vader was the means by which control was maintained. Vader was the strong hand and the face of power in the empire that kept the other parts in order. He was redeemed but then thats the whole purpose of the tale...

To me, it wasn't about that she led mindless drones it was how she lead them. Yeah Vader had competent people who he had to placate and intimidate, but so what? And same to his redemption. Villains aren't redemmed because when they are, the are no longer villains.

Man in the Funny Hat said:
I chose Vader over BQ because I was really annoyed that they would simply trash the entire very clearly established notion of a collective for the Borg just so they could vomit up a trite, traditional, individual villian on the screen. Lame.
Yesterday 11:16 PM

It was kinda lame that they centralized the villain but that doesn't diminish that she was a cold, blooded murderer and destroyer of worlds.

The Borg Queen knew she destroyed lives, she knew the suffering she brought on and she didn't care. She didn't hate herself, she didn't curse herself. She went about her business with a smile on her face. Vader hated himself and much of that hate was channeled into the Darkside and it ultimately lead to him becoming good again.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Mad Hatter said:
To me, it wasn't about that she led mindless drones it was how she lead them. Yeah Vader had competent people who he had to placate and intimidate, but so what? And same to his redemption. Villains aren't redemmed because when they are, the are no longer villains.

By that logic, children never grow up because when they do, they are no longer children. Liquids never freeze because when they do, they are no longer liquids. Solids never melt because when they do, they are no longer solids. Living things never die because when they do, they are no longer living things.

This should show that your argument does not work. Villains can be redeemed. And Darth Vader is worthy of a "Best Villains" contest, even though he redeems himself, because when he was a villain, he was cool.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads