• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Greg Leeds talks about D&D

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
There has got to be some kind of meme here: Wotc sells hundreds of thousands of copies of top ranking RPG. Cant make any money on RPGs.

JohnLynch

Explorer
I am sure that even JK Rowling was told not to quit her day job when she wanted to get into writing.

And I bet she is glad that she did not listen to those people.
The company with the biggest success in tabletop roleplaying games went bankrupt trying to make the game. The other biggest company was sold off to a large corporation with D&D not being the primary reason for the sale.

I really don't think it's too much of a stretch to say most people in the gaming industry could make more money in any other industry.

I am sure that even JK Rowling was told not to quit her day job when she wanted to get into writing.

And I bet she is glad that she did not listen to those people.

Speaking as a published writer, it remains good advice. Becoming rich through writing like Rowling or King doesn't change that. Just like it's better financial sense not to spend money on lottery tickets; the fact that a few people beat the odds doesn't change the fact that those odds are a enormously against you.

For every Rowling, there are thousands of published authors--not "wannabe authors," but published low- or mid-listers--who don't make enough to get by on the writing alone. They still do it, because it's what they love doing, but they're not going to get rich off it. Looked as purely as a business decision, it's flat-out the wrong one. That's why writers don't look at it as a purely business decision.

Eric V

Hero
No, did I say that? They'll drop at some point. In fact it seems they expected it sooner.

Not you, just the trend of the conversation.

Assuming the core books do drop...how do they make money afterwards, if they don't make books with crunch? I know from me and my group they haven't made a cent since the DMG. If they only make level 1-15 adventures, they never will.

Unless, it's just about keeping the brand active for other, more lucrative projects. Then, I understand.

before I say anything, my own preference would be at least 1 book per quarter with crunch, and I really want a 5e book of 9 swords and psionic book... and a darksun book

Not you, just the trend of the conversation.

Assuming the core books do drop...how do they make money afterwards, if they don't make books with crunch? I know from me and my group they haven't made a cent since the DMG. If they only make level 1-15 adventures, they never will.

Unless, it's just about keeping the brand active for other, more lucrative projects. Then, I understand.

I think they can have there cake and eat it too buy waiting for the book sales to drop, then kick up the production...

Remove ads